Chapter 41

Song of the chapter: Remember When by Alan Jackson

Emily's POV

The ride home was silent, so I busied myself with checking my phone for messages. There was one from Taylor.

Austin told us everything. How are the Bradshaws holding up?

I glanced up and saw that Allan had his hand on his wife's knee and was slowly rubbing it.

I texted her back. Not so good. Quinn was up most of the night.

Damn, that sucks.

No kidding. She's a wreck and I'm exhausted, I said.

I would be 2.

I put my phone away and Allan pulled into the driveway of my house ten minutes later. "Thanks for the ride," I said.

"Anytime, Emily," they said. I waved as they left and trudged up the rest of the driveway. When I got inside, Pancakes greeted me at the door.

"Hey, Pancakes," I said as I bent down to pet her. She sat down in front of me and lifted up a paw, resting it on my shoulder.

"I missed you, too," I laughed.

She tilted her head and nudged my face. "I don't know what that is."

She barked and jumped up, running in circles. "Always good to see you, you nut job," I giggled as I pat her head and walked down the long hall to the kitchen. She followed behind me.

I checked the clock and saw it was only nine o'clock, so I figured Austin and Lucy were still asleep. I fed Pancakes and while she ate, I quietly made my way upstairs to the bedroom, where Austin was sprawled across the bed on his stomach in his favorite sweats.

I went to check on Lucy in her room. She was fast asleep, curled up under her purple Austin Mahone blanket in her crib.

"My two babies," I whispered with a smile. "Both knocked out."

I walked back into our bedroom and climbed onto Austin. He groaned and opened one eye. "Who's on my back?"

"Who do you think?" I laughed quietly.

He turned his head to look back at me. He smiled sleepily. "Mmm, hey there."

"Hi," I smiled, bending forward to kiss him quickly. "Ew, morning breath."

"Hey, you kissed me."

"I'm just kidding. Well, not about the morning breath but I don't care," I said.

"It's way too early in the morning to be awake," my boyfriend mumbled, turning over and shifting so I was now sitting on his bare stomach facing him. His hair was sexily tousled from sleep. Damn, he looked so good when he woke up, the complete opposite of me. "So how was it?"

I shrugged. "Same as when you left. Quiet, I stayed in Quinn's room all night."

He rubbed his eyes. "I don't know how they do it. That's a family of fighters, that's for sure." He squinted at me. "I'm assuming you got little sleep."

"Yeah, because Quinn was up most of the night screaming."

"Well, I was gonna say because the bags under your eyes are huge, but that works too," he replied.

"Gee, thanks," I deadpanned.

He grinned and sat up so I was in his lap with my legs on either side of him. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed my neck. "Don't worry, babe, you still look sexy."

"Flattery will get you nowhere," I teased, kissing him hard one last time before crawling off him and lying beside him. "I'm going back to bed."

"Awe, come on, I thought we were gonna have sex!"

"Austin!" I exclaimed, swatting him.

"I'm kidding," he laughed. "I'm too tired for that shit." He sprawled across me. "Later."

"You are such a little playboy," I laughed in annoyance as he pinned me down with his body. "Get off!"

He buried his face in my neck and twisted his legs up with mine. "I don't know; I'm pretty comfy here," he teased, peppering my neck with kisses.

"As good as that feels, I can't breathe with you on top of me, you dork," I told him.

He sighed and reluctantly rolled off. "Meanie."

I rolled my eyes and got under the covers. "Let me sleep."

"Only if you let me sleep. Or go back to sleep, technically, seeing as how you woke me up so early."

I rolled over and kissed his bare shoulder lightly. "Austin, sleep."

"I thought you'd never demand."

"It's 'I thought you'd never ask,'" I corrected.

"Same difference. Now good morning."

"It's goodnight, Austin!"

"No, it's not, it's the morning! Who's being technical now?"

"Oh my god, shut up."

"You shut up," he shot back.

"Austin."

"Emily, darling."

I started swatting his head. "What are you doing?" he asked.

"Trying to find the snooze button."

"Ha ha, so hilarious."

"I know I am," I said.

"Be quiet, babe, some of us are trying to sleep."

"I just- Wha-" I stammered as Austin started shaking with laughter. "Ugh, I hate you."

"Shhhhh, grasshopper." I ignored that one.

******

"Lucy, don't poke her in the eye."

"Eh?"

"Okay, fine, you can crawl all over her, but don't poke her."

"Okay."

I opened my eyes when I felt pressure on my legs, and I glanced back to see Lucy crawling up them towards me.

I grinned sleepily. "Having fun there, Luce?"

She sat on me and nodded her head. I looked at Austin, who was standing beside the bed, already dressed in a white shirt, an unbuttoned blue plaid shirt, and jeans.

"How dare you let her crawl on me," I joked, rubbing my eyes.

He mocked a gasp. "I apologize."

I smiled and sat up to stretch before sitting Lucy in my lap. "What time is it?"

"Two in the afternoon."

"Oh wow, I slept for a long time." I noticed a tray of food sitting on the bedside table. "What's the occasion?"

Austin grabbed it and grinned. "Just made you some lunch because I wanted to."

"Awe, aren't you the greatest?" I said.

"Why yes, yes I am."

I rolled my eyes jokingly. "Well, thank you, this is very nice of you."

"Anytime. But come on, sweetie, let's let mommy eat in peace," Austin said as he pulled Lucy off of me and into his arms. He threw her up a little in the air and caught her, making her giggle madly.

"You know I hate when you do that," I warned.

"Oh, relax, I won't drop her. And she loves it." He did it again and she shrieked with laughter. "See?"

"Yeah, yeah," I said. He bent over to kiss my forehead before the two of them left the room to go back downstairs.

"Pancakes," I said, observing the food. "Of course." I noticed a bowl of pickles beside it. "All is forgiven. Happy munching, Emily! Why thank you, Emily."