Chapter 19

Song of the chapter: Jesus, Take the Wheel by Carrie Underwood

"How many times do I have to say it? There is nothing going on between me and Jesse, and there never will be! I thought you knew I loved you and you only, but apparently I was wrong."

"Emily, I haven't even met this guy."

"My point exactly! Look, I am not having this conversation with you over the phone, people are starting to stare. I'll be home soon." I hung up and slammed my phone down.

"Wow," Quinn whistled. "Sounds bad." Taylor put her arm around me in a comforting gesture.

"Shoot me," I deadpanned before I threw my head on the table. "This day can't get any worse."

"Emily?"

"Or maybe it can."

You have GOT to be kidding me.

Emily's POV

"Oh, hey, Jesse," I said in a fake cheerful voice as he approached our table with two coffees he had just bought. "How are you?"

"I've been good. You?"

"Awesome," I lied. Taylor shot me a look. "Um, Jesse, these are my friends Taylor and Quinn. Girls, this is Jesse."

"Hey," they greeted.

"Nice to meet you," Jesse nodded. "So what brings you to Ginger's?"

"We were just catching up," Taylor covered. "Grabbing a bite to eat, too." I sent her a thankful look, and she smiled.

Jesse grinned. "Girl talk?"

"You could say that," I mumbled.

"So, Jesse! What brings you to Miami? Emily says you're new to the area?" Quinn asked. She patted the spot beside her and he slid in, much to my horror. Kill me.

Jesse looked at me with a smile. No, no, stop it! "You've already mentioned me?"

"Well, yeah, I was just recapping my walk with Pancakes! Anyone who knows me knows I don't like to leave out any details," I laughed nervously. "Just keeping it real," I put up the peace sign in desperation. "Word."

"Okay!" Taylor interrupted. "Better stop her there before things get even weirder!"

"Thanks," I deadpanned.

"Well, back to Quinn's question. I used to live in Orlando, but I just moved to Miami last month for school. I'm studying psychology."

"That deals with like, crazy people and stuff, right?" Taylor asked.

Jesse chuckled. "I guess that's one way of putting it, sure."

"That's pretty cool," Quinn nodded. "Sometimes I wonder if my daughter is crazy, but then again, she's only three. It's practically a natural child thing."

I snorted with laughter. "Way to throw Sheridan under the bus."

"Oh, you know I love her more than my life."

"You have a daughter, too?" Jesse asked, clearly shocked. I didn't blame him.

"Feel free to book it," she sighed.

"No! Sorry; I didn't mean to sound rude or anything. I just didn't expect it because...well..."

"I'm young, yes. It's fine, I get it all the time. I'm used to it."

Jesse grinned. "Is she blonde like you?"

"Oh, this isn't my natural hair color," Quinn said quickly, gesturing to her long blonde hair. "I'm actually a brunette. Sheridan's dad had blonde hair."