Chapter 10

Song of the chapter: Party In The U.S.A. by Miley Cyrus

Austin's POV

"I'm sorry, Luce, but I have no idea how you watch this stuff," I said as I watched the TV screen. She was sitting beside me on the ground in her little chair while I was lying on the couch.

She was in a trance like she always was when she watched My Little Pony. One time, I tried turning the channel to the basketball game because I figured, you know, she's only one so she won't even care. Nope; she screamed at me until I changed it back.

I groaned and grabbed the thermos of soup, pouring myself more. "Another twenty minutes of this?"

Lucy threw her hands down and screamed. "Okay, okay, I'll stop talking!" I exclaimed. "Sheesh."

After a while, the story actually got interesting. I was done with my soup and was all comfy. "You know, I think it's good that Rainbow Dash is helping Applejack find her missing hairbrush. It really shows teamwork and helps define their close friendship. Don't you agree, Luce?" I glanced at Lucy before turning back to the TV. "Yeah, that's what-" I stopped as I did a double take.

Lucy was standing up. On her own.

Emily's POV

"Emily!"

"What?" I yelled. What could he possibly want while I'm in the shower? I heard coughing a few seconds later and rolled my eyes. I told him to quit yelling and whistling, but no. He never listens.

"Lucy's about to walk, get your ass down here!"

Mother of god, seriously?

"What! Now?" I turned the shower off and jumped out, grabbing a towel and wrapping it around myself.

"Yes! Hurry up!"

I threw the door open and ran down the hall. I slipped around the corner. "Oh shit!" I yelped, grabbing the railing for support. "Austin, stall her!"

"How am I supposed to do that?"

"I don't know, just do it!"

"Um, don't move, Lucy, wait for your mommy," I heard him say. I pounded down the stairs into the living room.

Austin was sitting a few feet in front of Lucy, who was standing up staring at him. "Come on, Lucy, you can do it!"

"Go to daddy, Luce!" I hurried and stood behind her.

Lucy smiled. And then fell down on her butt again.

I groaned. "Damn it."

"Wait, she's getting up again," Austin said. Sure enough, the little trooper was pushing herself up. "Lucy, come here," Austin scooted a bit closer with his arms out.

She tentatively took a step forward and teetered a bit. I had my hands by her sides, but she kept her balance and took another step towards Austin.

"Oh my god, Austin! She's walking!" I said happily as she took a few more steps, me following behind.

He beamed. "A few more Luce, you're almost there!"

Lucy giggled and took the last few steps into Austin's arms. "She did it!" I clapped happily and bent to kiss her head.

"Good job Lucy," Austin grinned. "Who would've thought My Little Pony would encourage that?"

"Who cares? She walked!"

Austin and I switched places and Lucy walked back to me while Austin walked close behind her. "She can really walk," I laughed. "I'm so proud of you, missy."

First steps? Check!

Emily's POV

"Where'd she go?" I panted as Austin and I looked around the room.

"She was just running past here!" He exclaimed.

It had been three weeks since Lucy had taken her first steps, and now she was running all over the house. Austin put gates and locks on the stairs and every other open space in the house so she wouldn't get where she wasn't supposed to. We had to chase her everywhere, and had spent the last fifteen minutes doing just that.

Suddenly, Lucy ran past the kitchen door, giggling madly. "There! Austin, grab her!"

We hurried after her, and Austin managed to catch her. "And just where do you think you're going?" He peppered her with kisses, making her shriek.

I doubled over. "Why is it so hard to catch a baby? Seriously!"