Chapter 9

Song of the chapter: Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) by Kelly Clarkaon

Emily's POV

"Sooner or later, you'll have to do it. I'd go with sooner. Take it and no one gets hurt."

"I can't."

"C'mon, it's not going to kill you."

"It might."

"Austin, you're being ridiculous, just take it!"

"But it's icky, Emily," he whined from the couch. I was in the process of trying to give my sick, dork of a boyfriend cough syrup, but I wasn't succeeding.

"If you don't take it, you're not going to get better, and you'll end up getting me and Lucy sick. A sick baby is not a good thing."

"I'm fine," Austin said before coughing.

I rolled my eyes. "You're not fine. Open up."

He relented and grudgingly opened his mouth so I could give him the syrup. His face immediately scrunched up. "That's disgusting!"

"I know, but it'll make you feel better," I went to put the medicine away before coming back and laying a blanket over him. "You should rest."

Austin sighed. "Fine, but if the studio calls, wake me up."

"I'll take care of it if they do. I'll make you soup for when you get up," I replied.

Austin's eyes were already closed when I left the living room to go to the kitchen. My mom had been looking after Lucy while I was here taking care of Austin, and it had helped me out a lot.

While I boiled the water for the soup, my phone rang. I jumped and quickly answered it so it wouldn't wake up Austin.

"Hello?"

"Hey Emily," Leah said from the other end.

"Oh, hey Leah, how's it going?"

"Pretty good. I was just calling to see if you wanted me to pick Lucy up from your mom's. I know you were going to get her later on, but you probably don't want to leave Austin alone either. Plus, your mom lives two minutes from my school; I can get Luce on my way home."

"You know what? That would be great, Leah," I sighed with relief. "Are you sure you don't mind?"

"Of course not, I love that little girl. I'll see you in an hour or so."

"Alright, see ya." I hung up and poured the soup in the now boiling water.

I flipped through a magazine while I waited. When it was done, I poured it in a thermos to keep it warm. I sighed tiredly and threw my hair up in a bun.

Austin had been sick for a few days now. It had just hit him out of the blue. First he had the flu, so two days ago I was up all night with him. Now he had a cold so he was coughing and complaining 24/7. He's barely slept at all.

I kept myself busy by cleaning, and before I knew it, Leah's car was pulling into the driveway. I was putting everything away when she came through the door holding Lucy in one arm, Lucy's bag in the other.

"Hey," she greeted.

"Hello," I smiled. "And hello to you, too," I added as I took Lucy and her bag from Leah. "Thanks for bringing her home, I really appreciate it."

"No problem at all," Leah said.

"Do you want to stay for tea? I was just about to have some," I told her.

"Oh, I don't want to intrude with Austin being sick," she started, but I cut her off.

"It's fine, he's sleeping anyways. Come on, I want to hear about your classes and the hot gossip," I mock pouted. "I miss high school drama."