Chapter 27

Song of the chapter: Blank Space by Taylor Swift

Emily's POV

"Draw something cool."

"I'm running out of things to draw; I've taken up more than half of your cast already."

I shrugged. "You're creative. Think of something."

It had been two weeks since I had broken my ankle tripping over Lucy's toy, and I gotta tell you, getting around was not a piece of cake. Austin would carry me up and down the stairs, even when I insisted on hopping. I think he was just nervous that I would break my other ankle. Wouldn't put it past myself to do just that. He was being a very good doctor, and he was a big help with Lucy.

The wheelchair was helpful because I could carry Lucy around easier, and I could use my hands for something useful instead of having to crutch around constantly.

"There, I'm done," Austin capped the marker he was using to draw on my cast and inspected his art. "I think that looks radical."

"Radical?" I giggled.

He grinned. "Yeah! Look at it."

He had drawn a big fancy treble clef and woven his name through it, right next to Lucy's scribble that has her signature.

"Looks sweet," I approved. "Wanna paint my toes now?"

"Ha, no." He got up from his spot on our bedroom floor. "I have to start supper."

"Oooh, what are you making?" I said.

"Just for my favorite cripple, I'll make lasagna. With pickles on the side."

"You rock," I grinned. "Except if you call me cripple one more time, I'll boot you with this cast."

"You aren't booting me with anything, especially with that bad ankle. You'll make it worse," Austin replied.

"Then you better sleep with one eye open."

He pouted. "I can't sleep with one eye open."

I just shook my head. "Come on, let's go before we wake up Lucy. She's having a terrible day and I'd really rather not have to deal with her at the moment."

I hauled myself from the bed but Austin stopped me when I went to hop. "No way, I'll carry you down."

I sighed. "Austin, I can hop down. Or slide down on my ass."

He shook his head. "You might slip and fall."

"Being extra cautious now, are we?" I said with a raised eyebrow.

"Exactly." He bent and scooped me up, heading out the door.

"I feel like a child," I muttered.

"Suck it up."

I scoffed. "Like I have a choice because you're going to keep doing it no matter what I say."

"Awe, you know me so well."

"I know you better than anyone," I said.

"True enough." When we got to the kitchen, he put me down carefully on one foot and I slid into my wheelchair.

"So what's the plan for tonight?" I asked as I wheeled over to the table.

Austin shrugged as he started taking stuff out for the lasagna. "Alex wanted to go out, but he ended up getting sick so I guess that's not happening anymore."

"How did he get sick?"

My boyfriend started laughing. "He made Taylor mad a couple days ago and she didn't talk to or see him until yesterday. He said she just grabbed him and they started making out for some reason; I guess she didn't tell him she was really sick."