Chapter 39

Song of the chapter: Amnesia by 5SOS

Emily's POV

Jesse let go of her and put his head in his hands on the counter.

"Jesse," I said quietly. "Let me take her to her room."

He nodded and handed Quinn's sobbing form over to me.

Austin made a move towards me but I held up a hand. "I'll be fine."

He hesitated but said, "Okay, just holler if you need anything. We'll be in here."

I wrapped my arms around Quinn and helped her walk out of the room and down the hall to her bedroom. Thankfully it wasn't upstairs because that would have been difficult trying to get her up there.

"Here, honey, let's get you cleaned up," I said gently, helping her sit on the bed.

"I'm sorry I snapped at you," she said thickly.

"Don't worry about it, it's okay."

"I'm just...I'm not myself today," she told me, fresh tears forming.

I went to her bathroom and started a bath for her. "Come on, you'll feel better after a bath."

She dragged herself to the tub and stripped before getting in. I helped clean her up and while she dried off, I went to her dresser and pulled out a fresh pair of sweats and a tank top for her to sleep in.

Quinn came back in, looking a little better. "Thanks, Emily," she whispered, taking the clothes from me.

"No problem," I smiled, trying to make her feel better. "I'll be right back," I said.

I went back to the kitchen where the guys were sitting around the counter. Jace looked up when he heard me come back in. "Is she okay?"

"She'll be fine," I said. "Do you have any Advil to help her sleep?"

He opened a cupboard and handed me a bottle. "Thanks," I said, taking one out and grabbing a glass of water so she could wash it down.

I went back to Quinn's room and saw that she was lying down in bed, her back facing me. Her shoulders were shaking lightly and I knew she was crying again.

"Quinn?" I asked quietly.

"Come in," she muttered.

I walked over to her and sat on the end of her bed. "I brought you an Advil and some water."

She sat up and tucked her hair behind her ears. She took the Advil and took a sip of water to wash it down. "Is it gone?"

She stuck her tongue out and moved it up so I could see underneath. "Good," I said.

We were quiet for a minute before she suddenly said, "Why Leah?"

I gave her a sympathetic look. "I don't know, honey."

"I mean, why my baby sister? The cops don't even have any leads yet."

"Don't worry so much, Quinn, Leah is a very strong girl," I soothed. "Try and get some sleep, though, alright? You'll feel better when you wake up."

She handed me the glass of water and I set it on her bedside table. She crawled under the covers and I tucked her in. She was out almost as soon as her head hit the pillow, so I shut her light off and quietly closed the door behind me on my way out.

I went back to the kitchen. "Where's Jesse?" I asked the two remaining boys.

"Talking to mom and dad outside," Jace said.

I nodded in understanding. "Hey Austin, can I talk to you for a second?" I asked my boyfriend. He followed me out of the room and back into the hallway.

"What's up?" he asked when we were in private.

"I think I should stay here with her overnight," I told him. "Just to make sure she's okay."

He pouted.

"Austin, she needs a friend right now," I told him.

He sighed. "Yeah, I know. Maybe Leah will turn up later."

"I hope so," I said.

"Do you want me to go home and pack you a bag?" he asked.

"No, no, that's okay. I'll just borrow some of Quinn's clothes, I'm sure she won't mind," I replied.

"How are you going to get home tomorrow? I've got to take the vehicle back and get Lucy now."

"I'll find a ride. I'm sure somebody can give me a lift," I told him.

"Well, alright, if you say so. I guess I'll see you tomorrow then; call me if you need me to pick you up because I'll come right down here and get you."

I smiled. "I know, I will."

He bent to kiss and hug me

He bent to kiss and hug me. "Love you, see you tomorrow."

"Love you too," I told him. He waved and went back into the other room.

I sighed. "Alright, now here's hoping Quinn doesn't wake up."