Chapter 16

Song of the chapter: Summer by Calvin Harris

Emily's POV

It was a beautiful day outside, so I decided to take Pancakes to the dog run at the park. As we arrived at the park, there were lots of kids playing with their parents.

I smiled. I couldn't wait to do that with Lucy when she got a little older. I remembered when I was watching Sheridan for a few days while Quinn was at the hospital with Jace, and Taylor and I took her here. It was a lot of fun.

We walked into the fenced area for the dogs and I let Pancakes off her leash. She took off after a squirrel, so I sat on the bench and pulled out my phone to check Austin's website.

Alex had uploaded a video of Austin drinking hot sauce through his nose ten minutes previously, and it had already gotten over a million views. It amazes me what people watch on the internet.

I texted Alex. A hot sauce video?

Totally! People love it! He replied.

I laughed to myself before texting back. You could probably sell the Kleenex Austin blew his nose in after for a lot of money.

That's a genius idea.

Alex, I was kidding!

I wasn't.

Please don't. I sent. I heard a few barks and I looked up.

Pancakes was chasing another dog around the park. The dog looked exactly like Pancakes, size and all, except this dog was the color of chocolate but had a little black on its fur. Its owner was in the process of trying to catch it.

"Oh, great," I muttered as I slid my phone in my pocket. I stood up and hurried over. "Hey! Pancakes, no!"

The guy looked at me. He looked my age, tall, with black hair and piercing green eyes. He reminded me of Percy Jackson. And he was really cute.

"I'm assuming this is your dog?" He asked.

I nodded as I tried to grab Pancakes. "Yeah, but she's harmless. I'm so sorry."

"It's no problem," he said. "I'm just glad she's not a stray."

"Pancakes, come here now!" I yelled. I finally grabbed her collar and she sat down at my side again. "Bad girl, you don't chase other dogs, you know that."

"Guess she just thinks my dog is bait," the guy grinned as he hooked his dog back on a leash. He held out his hand. "I'm Jesse. And this big guy is Blaze."

I shook it. "Emily. I'm sorry about my dog again, she isn't usually like that."

"No worries. Pancakes is quite the name for a dog, but I guess she does look like a pancake. The color, I mean, not the shape. That would be an odd looking pancake," Jesse joked.

I laughed. "Yeah, my boyfriend likes pancakes, so that's what we named her."

"You know, you look familiar. I swear I've seen you somewhere."

"I'll just give you a sec."

He thought about it. "Got it. Austin Mahone's girlfriend," Jesse said. "Do I win?"

I giggled. "You win."

He grinned. "Cool. His music rocks."

I nodded. "I'll tell him you said that. We've also got a daughter, Lucy, but I'm sure you already know that, with it being in the tabloids so much last year."

"Actually, I'm not a big fan of gossip sites, or anything gossip related, so no, I didn't know you had a baby," he whistled. "Wow. That must be rough. You look like you're my age, and I'm only 20."

"20; guilty is charged. Yeah, it's hard, but we're making it through. She just turned one in March. She said her first word today, actually," I said.

"Nice," Jesse commented. "That must've been exciting."

"I cried."

He laughed. "I rest my case."

My phone buzzed. "Excuse me," I said as I pulled it out. It was a text from Austin.

Where are you? It's been over an hour. Are you okay? If you don't answer this text, I'm sending a search party out. No joke. Did Pancakes run off or something? Did you get hit by a bus? Or an airplane? Did someone STAB YOU!? EMILY!

An airplane? I thought weirdly. I quickly sent back, I'm fine, relax. No one stabbed me, just calm down. I'm on my way right now.

"I'm really sorry, but I've got to go," I told Jesse.

"That's okay. It was nice meeting you," he said.

"You, too," I said. "C'mon Pancakes. Bye Blaze!"

I turned around and made it about six feet before I heard Jesse shout, "Emily, hold up!"

I turned around to see him jogging up to me. "Yeah?"

"Um, would it be weird if we swapped numbers?" He asked. "I know you have a boyfriend and all, but we could always meet for coffee or something. Keep it platonic."

I hesitated. Austin would freak.

"I swear I won't do anything. It's just, I'm new to the area. But I understand if you say no."

I looked at him. Damn, those green eyes were like emeralds! I relented and pulled out my phone before handing it to him. "Oh, alright."

He tapped his number in before handing me his phone so I could tap mine in. We swapped back. "Thanks."

"You're welcome, but I've really got to go." I waved and walked off with Pancakes.

As Pancakes and I walked out of the park, I couldn't help but think what Austin was going to say when he found out I had swapped numbers with another guy. But guys and girls can be just friends, right?

Right?

************

I can't believe Austin is 20 already! Omg time goes by fast. Happy birthday Austin 💕