Chapter 38

Song of the chapter: Use Somebody by Kings Of Leon

It rang twice before he picked up. "Emily!"

Sounds important. Damn.

"Jace? I saw that you tried calling earlier, but my phone never rang. Is everything okay?"

"I tried about ten minutes ago, so you didn't miss me by much. And no, everything is not okay."

"What's up?"

"It's Leah."

My heart dropped. "Oh my god, what happened?"

"She's missing."

Emily's POV

I froze. "W-what do you mean she's m-missing?"

"I mean as in gone, we can't find her, she didn't come home. That kind of missing," Jace said.

"Did you try calling her?"

"She left her phone at the house because she was at work. Her coworkers last saw her in her car leaving."

"Where's Quinn?"

"Calling all of Leah's friends with my parents."

"Maybe she just got stuck in traffic?" I hoped.

"That's a long time to be stuck in traffic considering she worked yesterday evening," Jace said.

Shit.

"Jace, calm down. I'll get Austin and we'll be there as soon as we can, okay?"

"Okay, let me know if she calls you!"

"I will." I hung up and dumped the rest of my tea in the sink before running out the door. Thank god I was done with that walking boot and my ankle was all healed up.

I burst through the doors of the rehearsal hall, causing Austin and the band to stop what they were doing and glanced in my direction. Taylor and Alex were there too, with Lucy.

I bent over and put my hands on my knees, out of breath. "Jace...called...Leah...gone..."

That was apparently enough for Austin to comprehend because his eyes widened and he jumped off the stage, throwing a quick "Rehearsals are done until further notice!" over his shoulder to the band as he ran over. Taylor and Alex weren't far behind.

"Leah's gone?" Taylor asked as I led them into the hallway.

"To where, the store? Because I really should call her and tell her to buy me new underpants while she's there," Alex said.

Taylor smacked him across the head. "You idiot! She's missing!"

"Oh...that makes more sense," he said, before screaming, "LEAH'S MISSING!?"

That caused Lucy to start crying in Taylor's arms and this time Austin smacked Alex. "Good going, dude, you scared her!" Austin took Lucy from Taylor and tried to calm her down.

"Stop hitting me, my head is as fragile as an egg!"

"Is the inside of your head all mush like the inside of an egg?" Taylor shot back.

"Can everybody just shut up?" I exclaimed. "Jace wants us at the house."

"We can't take Luce," Austin said loudly over her crying.

"Alex and I will watch her," Taylor said.

"What about my car?" I said.

"I'll drive it back to my place now and drive it to yours when I bring Lucy back. Alex and I both came in his vehicle so I don't have my car here anyway."