Chapter 26

Song of the chapter: Confident by Demi Lovato

Emily's POV

"So, blue, black, pink, purple, green, or white cast?" The doctor asked me.

"I guess I'll go with the pink," I said.

Turns out I really did break my ankle, as Austin predicted. Damn it ALL.

"So how long do I have to have this thing on?" I asked as the doctor got to work.

"Six weeks, then you'll have to come back in so we can take a look at it. If it isn't set, we may have to do surgery."

"Surgery?" I squeaked. Austin squeezed my hand.

"It's highly unlikely," Dr. Stevens said. "But there is a slight possibility. Don't worry, it won't affect anything. It's a small procedure, but no sense in worrying about it when you most likely won't need it. Let's just deal with that when the time comes."

I nodded weakly. "Okay."

"While you're in this cast, you can't do a lot of things, obviously, since you'll be on crutches. If you want, we can supply you with a wheelchair as well if it makes transportation easier."

"That would be good, thanks," I said. "It'll make moving Lucy around easier."

The doctor nodded. "Bathing will be easier than showering, but if you feel like you can shower, you may. You'll want your boyfriend here to help you with that."

Austin and I went red in the face. I mean, it was no embarrassment to us, because, you know, we had seen everything of each other numerous times, obviously. But it was embarrassing having the doctor tell you things like that.

"Wrap it in plastic so the cast doesn't get wet. If the cast gets wet at any time, come back and we'll change it. Keep the ankle elevated for the first few days as much as possible."

Austin nodded, taking everything in. "Have fun playing doctor," I said to him.

"Not like I have a choice," he replied.

As Dr. Stevens was putting the cast on my ankle, Lucy was getting cranky so Austin was trying to keep her entertained by bouncing her on his lap. When she finally started squirming in his arms, and Austin was having trouble holding her, he sighed and stood up. "You know what, Emily, I'm just going to take her out to the waiting room. I'll talk to the receptionist and set up another appointment."

"Alright," I said. He left the room.

When the doctor finished, I inspected the cast. Bright pink and fun on the outside. Not so bright pink and fun on the inside.

"Thanks, Dr. Stevens," I said gratefully.

"No problem, Emily. I'll prescribe some pain medication for you as well."

"Awesome," I sighed, which made him grin. After he prescribed me with the meds, he gave me some crutches and fixed them so they were suitable for my height. He wheeled me out to the waiting room where Austin was waiting by the door.

"Hey," he said. "Looks good."

"Doesn't feel good," I replied.

"Thanks again, doctor," Austin said, shaking his hand.

"You're most welcome, Mr. Mahone. Call if you have any questions, or if you have any concerns with the ankle."

"We will," I assured him. The doctor waved and went off down the hall again. Austin set Lucy in my lap, who was now sleeping.

"She was quiet as soon as we got out here," he said as he wheeled me to the vehicle.

"I don't blame her; I would hate being cooped up in that room for that long too if I was her."

When we got home, Austin put Lucy to bed after he helped me to the couch and grabbed a few pillows to elevate my ankle. While he was upstairs, I grabbed the TV remote to see if anything good was on.

Austin sat down beside my feet when he came back down. "Hey, cripple."

"Call me that one more time," I threatened.

He put his hands up. "Sorry, I had to."

I sighed. "I feel so hopeless. I can't believe I broke my ankle. Now I have this stupid cast on for six weeks!

"Emily, getting mad at the cast isn't going to do anything."

"I know, I'm just upset."

He leaned over carefully and kissed me quickly. "You've got me to help you with everything, and Taylor, Alex, your mom, my mom, Quinn's family," he paused. "And Jesse."

My eyes brightened. "You'll meet him!?"

"Yes, I'll meet him."

"Yay!" I exclaimed, grabbing him in a hug. "But don't kill him."

"Jesus, Emily, I won't. Relax," Austin said.

"Sorry." I winced. "That's sore."

"Yeah, it's going to be for a while. Do you need anything?"

"Can you get me a glass of water?"

"Of course." He jumped up and went into the kitchen. A few minutes later, he came back with my water and handed it to me.

"Thanks," I smiled. "You're the best."

"I try," he grinned. "This doctor thing is going to be quite the adjustment. I'll have to take time off of my music."

"No, no, don't be ridiculous. I can still move around and do things."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Alright," Austin said. "If you say so." He kissed my forehead. "I love you."

"Love you more," I replied.

"Wanna watch a movie? I figure since you're going to be a couch potato for a few days, might as well watch some good movies!" Austin said, sitting down beside me again.

"Sure," I laughed as he flipped through them. "What do you want to watch?"

"Pitch Perfect."

"Of course you do," I sighed.

"That's my favorite movie right now."

"Believe me, I know."