Chapter 81

Song of the chapter: Tell Me Why by Backstreet Boys

Emily's POV

"Taylor!" I yelled as Austin and I ran into the hospital. She and Alex were standing near the main desk, and they hurried over when they heard me yell.

"I'm so sorry, Emily," Taylor said as she threw her arms around me. There were tear tracks down her face. "It's all our fault."

I grabbed her by the shoulders and looked at her. "Taylor, what happened?"

"I told you, she just started swelling up- we aren't allowed in there yet, Emily!" she said as I left her behind to run to the front desk, Austin right beside me.

"Which room is Lucy Mahone in?" He asked the receptionist.

"Who wants to know?" she eyed us suspiciously.

"Her parents!" We snapped at the same time.

She looked a little scared. "Oh, I'm sorry. I thought the other two were her parents. I don't-"

"Austin Mahone?" We turned around to see a nurse there with a clipboard in her hand, a couple of pages flipped over the top.

"That's me," Austin said as we hurried over to her.

"I'm Jordan," she said. "Lucy's nurse."

"Where's our daughter? Is she-?" I put my hand over my mouth in a sob. "Is she alright?"

"It appears that Lucy ingested peanuts, which triggered anaphylaxis," Jordan replied. I let out another sob, and I heard Austin suck in a breath beside me. "She's unconscious, but stable."

"Anaphylaxis? She's not even allergic to anything!" Austin exclaimed.

"Allergies can form as a person gets older," Jordan replied. "It appears she ingested peanuts."

"Oh my god," I gasped. "Oh god, oh god, oh god."

"You- you said she's stable?" Austin asked.

Jordan nodded. "Right now, yes." She gestured to Taylor and Alex, who were sitting on chairs in the waiting room. "I don't want to scare you, but you two are damn lucky your friends got her here right away or she wouldn't have been so lucky, with her being so young."

I straightened up. "So this is a lifelong thing then?" I asked.

"It can be, but not always," Jordan said. "We're just going to have to wait and see from here on out."

"Can we see her?" Austin asked.

"Not yet," she replied. "The doctor is still running some tests, but I'll let you know as soon as you can go in."

"Thanks," I said quietly.

"Of course."

After she left, I turned in Austin's arms and he wrapped his around me in response. "We can't lose her, Austin," I cried. "We can't."

"We aren't going to," he said, kissing my head

"We aren't going to," he said, kissing my head. "She's going to be okay, Emily. She's our little girl."

At 'our little girl', he choked up, and hugged me tighter.

"How is she?" Alex asked as we walked over a few minutes later.

"She's unconscious but stable. It was an allergic reaction to peanuts," Austin told them.

"Oh god, there were peanuts in the cake," Taylor exclaimed. "Oh no, I'm so sorry, you guys!"

"Hey, T," I said, putting a hand on her leg. "It's not your fault. We aren't blaming either of you. How could you have known she was allergic to peanuts? We didn't even know."

"We're just happy you guys came here right away," Austin said.

"Can we see her yet?"

"No. The doc's doing tests. We just have to wait."

**************

Today is my birthday so I decided to update before I leave for dinner!! Hope you guys like it!!