Chapter 36

Song of the chapter: Someone Like You by Austin Mahone

Emily's POV

"Hey, babe," he greeted as he gave me a hello kiss.

"Hey," I said. "How's rehearsal going so far?"

"Great! Where's Luce? I heard her screaming."

"Taylor has her." I paused. "Or maybe Alex does. I don't know, someone does. I gave her to Taylor but you know Taylor."

"You mean to tell me you don't know where she is."

"I know where she is, I just don't know who she's with."

"What the hell, Emily?" Austin exclaimed.

"I needed a break, Austin; she hasn't stopped screaming for you since she woke up. That's all she's been doing!"

"You tried everything?"

"Yes! She won't even eat," I said.

"Well, try something else; I'm kind of busy right now."

"I have been trying and I'm well aware that you're busy. And why are you yelling at me?" I said, raising my voice.

"I'm not yelling at you, I just think you need to get her to be quiet, we can hear her out here and it's cutting into our rehearsal!"

"You are yelling, and you think I haven't been trying to do that?"

"I didn't say you weren't trying."

"You're implying it!"

He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Bring her in here if it means calming her down."

"Austin-"

"Just do it, Emily."

I recoiled in shock at his harsh tone. "Snapping at me isn't going to help," I said to him, but I stalked out of the room to find Lucy. I heard Austin yelling my name behind me but I kept walking. It's not my fault Lucy is crying, and Austin was pissing me off. Instead, I found Alex in the lounge room with Lucy. She had stopped screaming, but she was still fussing a bit.

"How did you get her to stop crying?" I asked him, astounded.

Alex bounced her on his lap. "You may not know this, but I'm also the Baby Whisperer as well as the Love Whisperer."

"No, you aren't," I whispered.

"Yes, I am," He whispered back. "Just look at her."

"Well, Austin wants her, so you can take her to him. I'm going to go find Taylor."

"But-"

"Please, Alex," I begged. "I don't want to talk to him right now."

He looked at me for a second. "Are you guys okay?"

"Yes, we just had a little argument."

He looked at me again before sighing and nodding. "Alright."

I gave me a quick hug. "Thank you. Bye, honey," I added to Lucy before leaving in search of my curly haired best friend.

Austin's POV

"What about love, what about love." After finishing my new song, I turned to the band. "Alright, guys, take five."

Alex came through the door of the hall holding Lucy just as I grabbed my sweat towel.

"So you had her," I said to him. "Emily should pay more attention to who has our kid."

"Taylor gave her to me," Alex said. "No offence, man, but she's being super annoying today."

"Daddy!" Lucy yelled, throwing her arms out when she caught sight of me.

"Dude, take her, she won't listen to any of us," Alex said as he pretty much thrust my daughter into my arms. "I had her calm for like a minute and then she started crying again."

"Hey, sweetie," I said as I wrapped her in my arms. "Why are you being difficult with your uncle, auntie, and mommy, huh? Are you being a pain?" I turned to Alex. "Can you pass me that water bottle?"

He reached behind him and tossed it to me. "Thanks," I said before taking a gulp.

"No problem. So what are you going to do about that?"

"About what?" I asked, confused.

"That." He pointed at Lucy, who was resting her head in my neck and sucking her thumb. "She's going to do this every time you leave for rehearsals in the morning. Which is almost every single day for the next month."

"She only does it sometimes," I said, rubbing her back. "Besides, Emily and I were up all night with her. She didn't want to go to bed, so she's overtired."

"Well good, because five minutes with her was enough for me. No offence," Alex added.

"None taken."

"I was actually talking to Lucy."

I gave him a pointed look before kissing Lucy's head.

"Austin, don't blame Emily for Lucy's behaviour," Alex said suddenly.

"What am I blaming her for?"

"She told me you guys were fighting. Taylor said she came in here looking exhausted, with Lucy screaming in her arms. I just saw Emily two minutes ago and it looks like she's had a rough morning."

"It's hard with this tour coming up. Everyone is so busy."

"Have you guys considered a babysitter?"

"Well, my mom or Emily's parents usually do it, or Leah."

"Why don't you hire Leah? She's great with Lucy, and it saves Emily having to watch her all the time alone."

I thought for a second. I had been pretty hard on Emiy when she wasn't doing anything wrong. She was just trying to keep Lucy away from me so she wouldn't lose it and ruin my rehearsal. She had been looking out for me.

I sighed. "I'll go talk to Emily." I pulled Lucy's hands out of my hair. "Sorry Luce, but you're going to have to go back with Uncle Alex. Daddy's busy right now."

"No, Austin, please!" Alex exclaimed.

I glared at him. "That's my daughter you're complaining about. Just because you're my best friend doesn't mean I won't go all Protective Daddy Mode on your ass."

"I mean, yay! I just love screaming children," Alex said quickly, taking her back.

"Daddy!" Lucy immediately started crying again.

"Lucy, you need to stop, you're a big girl now. Go with Uncle Alex and I'll see you soon, okay?" I hurried off before she got worse, and Alex quickly left the room with her. I could hear her faint yells get quieter as they got farther down the hall.

I sighed and my drummer, Chris, patted my shoulder. "She'll be fine with Emily, man. Go talk to her."

"This is going to be a long month," I sighed.