Chapter 30

Song of the chapter: Wake Me Up by Avicii

Emily's POV

"Austin, wake up," I said as I sat up in bed and stretched.

"Mmmmm," he groaned in response.

"It's-" I paused and checked the time on the bedside clock. I shrieked. "Noon! I have to be at Quinn's in fifteen minutes!"

"For what?" Austin mumbled as I grabbed my crutches and went as quickly as I could over to the closet.

"I'm helping her decorate for her Halloween party. I told you that already."

"Cut me some slack, I'm half dead right now." He yawned and sat up, scratching his bare chest and then running his hand through his hair.

"I can't believe I woke up so late, I slept through the alarm!" I exclaimed as I threw on clean undergarments. I chose a red t-shirt and jean shorts before slipping them on and throwing my hair in a bun. "Why was I so tired?"

"Probably from all that fun we had last night," Austin smirked, wiggling his eyebrows.

"You're sick."

"You love it," he said before swinging his legs over and standing up. "How long are you going to be gone?"

"I don't know, a few hours at least," I said as I washed my face in the bathroom. He followed me into Lucy's room, who was fast asleep in her crib. I bent to kiss her head. "Have fun with daddy today, baby. I love you." I went back to our room and grabbed my phone and purse. "I'm out."

"I'll carry you down the stairs, it'll be easier," Austin said.

Under any other circumstances I would have argued, but I was in a rush so I relented and climbed onto his back, him carrying my crutches in one hand.

"If you drop me, so help me God-"

"Relax, I won't," Austin snapped. "When have I ever dropped you?"

"Yesterday evening!"

"Oh, right."

When we got to the bottom, I slid off and took my crutches from him. "Don't forget to feed Pancakes."

"I won't, now go," he said, kissing my head. "I'll see you later."

"Bye!" I waved before leaving through the door that connected the garage to the house. I hobbled to my car and climbed in, throwing the crutches in the back. I had a week left in the cast and then I had a walking boot for a couple more weeks, which wasn't nearly as bad as the crutches and wheelchair, but it still wouldn't be fun.

"I have five minutes, oh my god, I'm going to be so late, oh my god," I repeated to myself as I turned onto the main road that took you further into Miami. "Quinn's going to kill me!"

My phone rang and I pushed the button on my dashboard for hands-free. "Hello?"

"Hey, Emily."

"Quinn! Oh, I'm so glad you called. I'm going to be a little late, but I just left my house a couple minutes ago."

"Don't worry about it, Emily. I was just calling to ask you if you could pick up some black and orange streamers from Dollarama? I thought I had more than I actually do."

"Yeah, I can do that. Just one pack?"

"Two, please."

"Sounds good."

"Thanks, Emily, I'll see you in a bit!"

"Later, girl!" I pressed the button again to hang up and continued to drive. It took me fifteen minutes to get to a Dollarama that was really only a few minutes away from our place, but the traffic was insane because it was around everybody's lunch break.