Chapter 17

Song of the chapter: It Will Rain by Bruno Mars

Emily's POV

I heard Austin trudge down the stairs while I was making breakfast. He shuffled into the kitchen shirtless and walked over, leaning down to kiss my temple. "Mmm, morning," he mumbled sleepily.

"Hi," I greeted, flipping pancakes onto his plate.

He smiled tiredly as he shuffled to the table. "You're the best, Ems."

"I figured you'd want your favorite breakfast after last night," I brought the orange juice over before sitting down across from him. "Lucy finally asleep?"

He nodded. "Like a rock."

"Good. She was so crabby last night."

"No kidding, I'm exhausted," he replied.

Lucy had one of her bad nights, unfortunately, and had kept Austin and I awake for most of the night. Oddly, I didn't feel very tired, considering the circumstances. Maybe that's because I couldn't sleep anyways since I still hadn't told Austin about my run in with Jesse. It had only been yesterday when it happened, so technically it hadn't even been 24 hours yet.

I glanced over at my boyfriend, who was shovelling down his pancakes. "Austin?"

"Hmm?" He took his orange juice before grabbing his phone.

"Um, I have to tell you something."

"Just a sec, I want to see who won the game last night." He scrolled through his phone, hardly paying attention.

I tried again. "It's important."

"Uh huh," he said absentmindedly. "Yes! Spurs dominated the Lakers! Alex owes me twenty bucks," he kept scrolling while grabbing another pancake. "What did you wanna tell me?"

I took a deep breath. "Please don't freak out."

"Why would I freak out? Is it bad?"

"Uh, that depends on how you look at the situation," I laughed nervously.

He looked up. Now I had his attention. He put his phone down and looked at me. "Emily, what happened?"

"Well," I started, dragging it out. "Remember when I took Pancakes for a walk yesterday?" He nodded, pouring more juice. "I took her to the dog run, and... Well, she started to chase this other dog that looked exactly like her, and the owner of the other dog was having a hard time trying to catch his dog, so I went over and helped him-"

"Emily, just spit it out."

Before I could stop myself, I blurt out, "We swapped numbers!"

Austin was so caught off guard that he dropped his glass of orange juice onto the floor, it smashing in the process. Orange juice went everywhere, but he didn't even flinch.

"Y-you what?" He stuttered. I couldn't tell his reaction. His face was unreadable.

"This guy is new to the area and he's just trying to make friends, so he asked if I would want to go for coffee with him sometime, as friends!" I defended. "He's a nice guy."

"And you bought it?" Austin exclaimed. "Emily, he wants one thing and one thing only, and that's to get in your pants! He's not interested in keeping things on a friendly level."

My mouth dropped open. "Excuse me?"

"You know it's true! I can't believe you gave another guy your number when you're dating me. We have a kid together, for god's sake!"

"Language!"

"You only said not to swear around Lucy! And it's necessary in this situation, I'd say!"

"Austin, you don't even know this guy."

"And you do? How long did you talk to him? Hmm? Five minutes maybe? Or did you have a full on chat and that's why you were gone so long?" Austin was fuming.

"Austin, you're overreacting. You know I would never do anything to hurt you. What, I can't have guy friends? I have Alex, Robert, Zach and Jace, don't I?" I was practically shouting. He was being ridiculous.

"That's different!"

"How?"

"It just is!" Austin said.

I jumped to my feet. "You have Quinn, Taylor, and Leah. Hell, girls throw themselves at you whenever they see you! Do you see me freaking out over that? I'm probably not even going to see Jesse again."

"Jesse? You guys are on a first name basis already? That's just great. Next thing you know, you'll be out clubbing and getting cozy with him behind my back when I'm away on tour!" Austin was on his feet now, too.

I felt like I had been slapped. I can't believe he just said that. Wait, why the hell am I thinking about this? "I can't believe you just said that. Nice to know you trust me."

I stalked past him and ran up the stairs, the tears already flowing down my face. "Emily!" He yelled, but I ignored him and ran through our bedroom and into the bathroom, closing the door.

I slid down the door and let the tears fall. Austin was being absolutely ridiculous. I know it might not have been smart to give a guy my number while I had a boyfriend and kid, but honest to god, people act as if it's illegal to be friends with the opposite sex while you're already in a relationship. I was perfectly allowed to have guy friends who stayed my friends. It's not like I had a bunch. Really just Alex, Justin and Jace! Anyone who knew me knew how much I loved Austin and that I would never, ever hurt him or leave him for another guy. I was a smart girl, I knew how to handle myself.

Boys and their damn jealousy, I thought angrily as I stood up and wiped my eyes. I pulled my phone out of my pocket.

I texted Quinn and Taylor. Got time to go for coffee? I'm in a dilemma.

Quinn replied immediately. Oh no! Of course I'm free. Time and place?

Taylor replied shortly after. Duh! Where?

Eleven at Ginger's?

Sounds good, they said.

I turned the shower on and hopped in to freshen up. When I finished, I got out and slowly opened the door to see if Austin was in the bedroom. He wasn't, so I hurried out to change.

First, I checked on Lucy. She wasn't in her bed, so Austin must have come and got her while I was in the shower.

I threw on pink skinny jeans with a white shirt and black crop jacket. I blow dried my hair and pulled it back into a long ponytail before doing my makeup.

Slipping on flip flops, I grabbed my purse and phone before heading downstairs. I saw Austin in the living room with Lucy.

I stopped at the doorway. "I'm going for coffee with Quinn and Taylor."

He looked at me. "I really am going with them," I said impatiently.

"I didn't say anything."

"You were thinking it. I don't know when I'll be back."

"Fine. Bye."

Lucy walked over to me. "No, honey, you have to stay with daddy for a while. Mommy's going out." I kissed her forehead before walking into the hallway and out the door.

When I jumped in my car, I set my head on the steering wheel and sighed. I wish I could start yesterday over. Why did I have a weakness for saying no?