Chapter 24

Song of the chapter: Apology by Austin Mahone

Emily's POV

"What do you want with your pancakes?"

"Just pancakes is fine."

"You sure you don't want strawberries? Or raspberries?"

"Pancakes is good, Emily, I'm fine."

"Or orange juice, or-"

"Emily!" Austin laughed. "I promise I'm fine."

"Sorry, I'm just trying to make up for being an idiot," I admitted. It was only the morning after Austin came back, and he hadn't seen Lucy yet. Well, he had, but not when she was awake. I was in the process of making him an "I'm Sorry" breakfast.

"We've been over this, Ems, don't be sorry. We're good now," he smiled. "But seriously, I'm good with just pancakes. I could eat these all day."

"Fine," I sighed. "If you insist." I grabbed my plate and joined him at the table. "So what are you doing today?"

"Whatever you're doing," he shrugged before shoving a pancake in his mouth.

"Well, I was going to clean the house."

"Then cleaning the house it is!" Austin announced.

"Seriously?" I laughed. "That's the first time you've willingly wanted to help clean."

"That's not true!"

"Name one more time you offered to help," I challenged.

"Well, there was that time when I did the dishes."

"You did the dishes? When was that?"

"Ha ha. I've done them lots, but I'm talking about that time when Taylor was over and you were helping Taylor with some work crisis."

"I asked you to do them that time."

"Hey, the point is, I have helped you clean before," he said.

Before I could say anything, the baby monitor indicated that Lucy was awake.

"I'll get her," I said as I got up and walked out of the kitchen to the grand staircase, trekking up them and down the hallway into Lucy's room. She was standing in her crib with her hands on the side, eyes watery.

"Don't want to sleep anymore?" I asked her as I hauled her out and went back into the hallway. "Guess who wants to see you? Let's go see daddy."

"Daddy?" she murmured.

"Yeah, daddy," I smiled as I headed downstairs.

I shifted her to my other side as I walked down the hallway and into the kitchen, where Austin was chugging his milk.

"Who's that?" I asked Lucy as I set her down.

Austin looked over. His face immediately broke into a huge grin, and he turned in his chair with his arms out. "Hey, sweetie. Come here."

"Daddy!" Lucy hurried over to him. I slipped back into my seat across from him.

"Oh," Austin groaned as he hauled her up. "Jeez, Lucy, I swear you're getting heavier every day." He kissed her forehead and then her cheek. "I missed you so much, girlie."

I smiled as Lucy curled herself into his arms, her fists going into his brown hair. "She missed you, too, I can tell you that much."

He gently set his cheek on her head and closed his eyes, and when he opened them again a few seconds later, they were watery.

I didn't say anything because I knew what he was thinking. I just quietly got up and walked around the table to where he was sitting and slid onto his lap. I wrapped my arms around him and he buried his face in my neck while he cried.

"Shh," I said softly as I stroked his back.

"I'm so sorry for leaving you two," Austin sobbed, pulling Lucy closer. "I feel like a complete ass."

"Hey," I said sharply. "Look at me. Austin, look at me."

When he did, I set my hand on his cheek to hold him in place. "You have nothing to be sorry about. It's over. You're back, Lucy's happy. Everybody's happy. Okay?"

He drew in a shaky breath and looked away. "You understand me, Austin Carter Mahone?"

"Okay," he said quietly.

"Good."

Lucy's stomach growled, and Austin started laughing. "I guess you need to eat, too. I'll feed you."

"I'll get her food." I slid off his lap and went to the cupboards to grab some strawberries, mashing them up. I walked back to the table and set the bowl in front of Austin.

While Austin fed Lucy, I could see that he was the happiest he had been in so long, being back with his family. It was evident that Lucy was the same. I watched while I finished eating as my boyfriend played around with her, laughing and smiling as she shrieked and giggled.

"Now, let's clean up our dishes and get to work on the house. Lucy's toys are all over the place, so she is obligated to help. Right, Luce?" I lightly poked her stomach.

She shook her head, and Austin and I laughed. I slid off of his lap and gathered my dishes. "I'll start in the living room."

"I'll do the den and Lucy's play room," Austin said, setting Lucy down so he could clean up his spot.

"I'll start with the living room, I guess. Lucy's toys are all over the place in there." I loaded the dishwasher with the dishes and turned it on. I turned to Austin. "Alright, let's do this."