[Arc 1] Ch. 3 Dragon's Challenge

Jules

"Flapping Beaks, why are there so many people out here!" Magus Perchwell growled as she came out to the field. "Alright kids, everyone needs to clear out!" She yelled. She looked excited about something and held a book and small round package half the size of her head.

I wonder what in the world she is up to.

"I never thought I'd be so excited to see you lot." She ran over to us. She almost dropped her things as she scoured the pockets of her light coat and skirt. "Flint!"

"I only accepted their mating challenge, and won." Flint crossed his arms. He had a bad attitude and although he was easily one of the smartest students here. The teachers picked on him for his delinquent behaviors and the fact that he was a Pirate. Galavan, as a kingdom on a peninsula, was surrounded by water on all sides and was right between the three continents. This meant that sea trade was a foundational part of their economy. And even though the king of Galavan and Pirate Queen Blackbeard had an alliance of sorts it didn't wash away all the natural prejudices against pirates.

"I'm not talking about that, hold out your hands." The pretty, if somewhat peculiar, Magus Perchwell struggled to organize everything in her hands. When Flint held out his hands Magus Perchwell leaned awkwardly close as she placed a handful of coins into his hands.

"Whoa." Flint exclaimed under his breath as the familiar greedy gleam twinkled in his eyes.

"This is all I have on me, find some way to clear the field of people, and be quick about it." Magus Perchwell ordered.

"Aye aye, skipper!" Flint saluted as he pocketed the money. He turned around and made his way for the center of the field. He summoned his mysterious magic and two straight black short swords with glowing blue designs down the length of them. "I hear word that people are after my women Jules Alz'Bluecoast and Nerinin Silverpelt that pisses me off! I declare a Dragon's tournament for their affection! The entry fee is to simply be within this common area! If you are still here within the count of twenty, I'll take it as a declaration of war for the designated thirty minutes and I'll hunt you down! Twenty!" Flint began counting down at a shout.

A Dragon's tournament was a mating ritual that meant everyone was able to attack him at once. The thing that sent everyone screaming, was that to compensate for the risk of being against a large number of opponents Flint, the dragon, was allowed to use any means to incapacitate his opponents. Even if that meant death.

Flint counted down from twenty with a smile on his face as everyone scattered. With his reputation, death wasn't a chance, it was a surety. Once he reached one and no one remained he returned to our side.

"While I don't approve of your methods, I am please with the results." Perchwell said as she opened the book and scanned the pages she was looking for.

"What's the matter professor? Aren't you going to fight me now? It'll be double for me to take back the Dragon's Challenge." Flint held out his hand.

"Tiera." Perchwell said without looking up from the book.

Tiera kicked in the back of Flint's leg. When he was down at her level she came up behind him with one arm around his neck and a knife planted inches above one of his eyes. "Aren't pirates only supposed to have one eye?" She asked with her signature bored voice.

Flint crossed his arms and pouted, "Fine, because of the presiding magus's decision I rescind and void my challenge and the terms."