[Arc 7] Ch. 4 Black Knight

Sable

As a Broderick I came from one of the very first Magic Knight families. A prestigious line of Heroes groomed by the great Magus Zorlo Bluecoast, the foster father of Heroes. That's what the Magic Knights were after all, Heroes. The same techniques Zorlo used to train the very heroes from the stories, refined and honed to teach a new generation. Several families put their livelihoods and reputations on the line to support the Bluecoasts when they began Hearthroam.

That only led to a lot of expectations being placed on the shoulders of each Magic Knight Family. We are supposed to be the best of the best and being able to use every element is a must. That is a problem for me since I have been diagnosed with an abnormally low affinity for all the elemental types. The only magic I have any talent for is dark magic but even summoning was outside of my ability. I'm a Magic Knight with no magic, a hero without any heroics.

As the second oldest of the family, behind a brother who is extremely talented, meant that I was virtually written off. My brother Al was not so quick to write me off though. He taught me swordsmanship and dark magic that would coat my body with magical armor and sharpen any object I held into a razor-sharp blade. Every branch became an iron club, every thread of fabric a steel plate, and every blade of grass a bed of nails under my feet. The world was my weapon.

Before I gained a mastery on my own powers and abilities my entire family, including my brother died during the Marsanth massacre. I then became the head of our wealthy family estate. With the help of our family butler I barely managed to keep our estate together as other nobles and magic knight families chipped away at our holdings. I was looked down on, not only because I was a girl but also because I held no talent, so it was accepted that I'd never bring my holdings from the ashes.

I pushed my body and my skills. I learned every dark magic strengthening skill that I could, but it was never enough because I couldn't cast elemental magic. I was so frustrated.

That was when "He" appeared. He offered me the only thing I'd ever wanted.

Power.

Inside my estate, one of the few properties I had been able to hold on to, I walked to the office I had given my benefactor. The man that had given me the power to raise to the number one spot and become student council president. Not that I cared about the presidency anymore. Now that I had power and position, I would someday be able to take my revenge on those that looked down on me and my family. But more than that I had found a proper master just like every knight should.

It was my honor to serve him.

Like a proper knight I kneel before his throne.

"My lord, I have come to give my report." I said bowing my head.

"Raise your head, my precious angel." He said. My heart thundered inside my chest and I felt my skin warm when he called me precious.

"My lord." I rose to my feet and looked at my beloved lord. He was so magnanimously handsome. His dark hair partially covered the eye patch that was a blemish on my ability to protect him. But protecting him was so confusing. He had four vials full of red liquid, while the fifth he was currently filling with his blood as he cut himself. When he finished, he rewrapped his arms with the bandages I never saw him without.

I gave him my report on the day I had spent with Julie and Hyde. In the meantime, he went through the complicated process of refining his blood.

"Interesting." He said while he continued his work. "From the way you are describing things it appears that our little 'childhood friend' really has changed the narrative. It's like she's become a new harem protagonist."