[Arc 5] Ch. 4 King's Cross

Jules

Once my head stopped spinning, I realized that I couldn't keep any facts straight up to the point where he talked about Minerva replacing me. Although with all that information I was able to keep clear up some of the fragmented sections.

"So there are two sets of hoods." Perchwell remarked. "You five are out to foil the Nightclaw, while the others are just common thieves." She commented to get her story straight while Florence brewed some tea to help calm our nerves.

"Yeah, we've been trying to get them back for the Marsanth Massacre, we've even saved a few of the survivors they kidnapped over the years." Nerinin sighed, then thanked Florence for the tea that was handed to her.

"I can't say that they don't need to be stopped but is this the right way to go about..." Perchwell looked at how her concern was falling on deaf ears. We haven't been doing this for years because we could easily be talked out of it.

"... haaaaa." Perchwell sighed. "And now you have even more reason to fight them. I mean, you just learned the leader of the Nightclaw is after Sebas."

"Yes, and we have to strike back as soon as possible." I said.

"And why is that?" Perchwell asked.

"They were after that book, and I left it behind..." I grumbled remembering my stupid mistake.

Perchwell reached into her cleavage. "You mean this book?"

"That's-" My eyes went round as I saw the book that had caused all of this. Perchwell had pulled it out of her cleavage... just how many things did she keep in there?

"The Audacitor's Codex. So tell me, this was written by the Phantom Prince, wasn't it?" Perchwell asked and my ears folded against my head as I nodded.

"I hope you realize the position you are in? I'm a professor of Hearthroam and a member of the Magus Archana. If I report all of you, you will be expelled. And Julie, you'll be stripped of your Magus Initiate title." She said.

"I don't care. I won't abandon Sebas." I dared Perchwell.

"Then I'm going to help you." Perchwell said. She crossed her legs while sitting on one of the wooden chairs and flipped open the book to a section with the strange magic circle that got us in this mess. She touched the page gently.

"Why?" I asked.

"My entire career as a magus was about harnessing Ley line magic. It was boiled down to a magic circle that was twenty meters in diameter and only lit a candle for a few seconds. The Audacitor overshadowed me with this. My research, my career, my best friend I lost them all. This book ruined my life." She looked at the page sadly as she spoke. "I have nothing left but the borrowed time that Vlad gave me."

"So why help us?" I asked.

"Because it's so beautiful." She looked up at me with a teary smile. "I'm not stupid, but I never would have made it into the Archana if it weren't for Vlad's help. He sacrificed so many hours and resources and took no credit when I was lauded. Sebas submitted this to avoid the entry exam. He remained anonymous and never meant to wave this in anyone's face, he wasn't trying to revolutionize anything, and he wasn't trying to ruin my job, I did that on my own. Then to help save my life he allowed Vlad to take credit for his research. He's just like Vlad in that way... never taking credit for everything he's done. But now Vlad is finally shining, everything I ever liked about him this book force him to show it to the world." Dova sniffled. "But this whole thing made me realize how pointless my research was to me. It forced me to take a fresh look around me and I realized how much I truly love Vlad."

"Knew it." Flint held his hand out to Tiera, and she clicked her tongue as she handed him a sack of coins.

"I want to thank him." Perchwell said. "Maybe I can't do much for Vlad as it stands, but if someone is going after the Audacitor who wrote such a beautiful book. Then I won't stand back as someone targets one of the few friends that Vlad has."

*

Enemy

Damn it! Damn those women!

Could she do that? She's just a childhood friend! I took away her promise ring! What happened!

I stood up and pulled the knife out of my eye and look at the hole in the wall. I shouldn't have underestimated that failed Magus. That mistake. I'll admit, but that catgirl, what was her deal! She can't just break the formula like that! Damn, I tried to kill her.

That means my 'friend' should be on his way.

I used the knife to free the knight I just recruited. The sniveling torture victim was still strapped to the chair.

"Get up knight, the king will be here in a second. Start the evacuation! Don't fail me." I cut him loose.

I covered my eye with my hand and tried to heal myself... but I couldn't! I couldn't reset time on it or anything. Was this an event?

I can't believe it. I won't! The only one worthy of me is another player, not an NPC Harem route girl. I should have just sent them back when I had the chance. With a flick of my wrist I pull out my gun from an invented item box of my own making. This was an overpowered masterpiece for this world's technology crafted by the dwarves and enchanted by yours truly. The surprise factor threw off most NPC's but the speed and strength of it will help me counter another player.

"So you finally decided to show up." I turned as I felt the bloodlust behind me. "I'm sorry but it's too soon for-" he didn't let me finish! The bastard, everyone knows that you let the villain monologue!

Sebas was tall for his age and was wearing a hooded cloak. And his five black and white tails gave him away. He bent low and with a flick of all his tails like a squid he propelled himself at me. No... Passed me... no! He just shoved something in my mouth while I was speaking. A speed type, but I didn't think that he'd rely on his full speed right away.

With his hand on my face he toppled me over backwards and smashed my head into the ground.

"I won't hesitate." He said. I looked into his eyes and couldn't find any hate, malice, or vacant rage. They were simply vicious and calculating, like he was making a chess move, and the glowing red demon eyes were like none I'd ever seen before. Each had several magic circles turning around each other like layered clockwork. They twisted back and forth, folded and unfolded, they contorted as if searching for something. It was like watching the inner workings and magical gears of the devil's own pocket watches. Then they stopped.

I rolled over throwing him off of me. I spit out the rock that he had shoved in my mouth and realized it was glowing. With less than a split second to react I use teleportation and retreat 100 feet up into the air and watched as my base exploded under me.

He... he just tried to blow up my head. That wasn't a very heroic move. Did... did that catgirl just change the narrative? I monologued to her just fine, but Sebas only let me get a few words out before he shoved a bomb in my mouth. No, I won't believe it. I just miscalculated a little.

No, I must really consider what he did. He countered me perfectly in a way I hadn't expected! Yes, once again we traded blows in a way only we could! HAHA! Truly a rival worthy of me. It would get boring if this was too easy.

Yes, Sebas. Entertain me more, while I grief your world and bring about your steady downfall.

This time you took my knight, but I don't think I'll go after your rook just yet. I think it is time for the pawns to play a little. How many pieces are you willing to sacrifice, Phantom Prince?