Chapter 2

"Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61, house fire, 4251 50th Avenue."

We explode up from the table and run to the truck. We quickly throw on our gear and hop in. I start the truck and pull out of the station. I turn on my lights and sound the horn to let people know I'm coming. Within a few minutes we arrive. I throw on my helmet as we hop out of the truck.

There are no evident flames but smoke is already flowing out of the open window. We gather around Severide as he says, "Capp and Quinn you're with me. Newhouse and Toni, you guys go together. Masks on and head in." Then he goes to talk to Casey, lieutenant of truck 81.

When he comes back he says, "We're scanning the 3rd floor. Quinn, stay close to me."

"Severide, this isn't my first fire. I was lieutenant at my old house."

"Alright then, you lead."

I nod as we go in. We cautiously make our way to the third floor. When we get there a middle aged man stumbles out of a room and says, "In...h...here." I grab the man and start making my way down. When we get to street level Brett and Mills take him to the ambulance to examine him. I sit down and move my hair to examine the burns on my neck. On the way down the guy slipped and scratched my neck. Sure enough, the burns are bleeding. I get Gabby to put some cream and gauze on it, because she apparently was a paramedic.

When Severide comes over to me he says, "Good work. Wait, what's on your neck?"

"Gauze."

"What happened?"

"The guy I took scratched the burns on my neck. Don't worry."

"When are the burns from?"

"The fire that made me leave Boston."

He nods and says, "When you want to tell me, I'm here to listen."

I smile and hop in the truck. When we get back to the house Severide yells, "Hey everyone! Let's go to Molly's after shift to celebrate Cole's first fire at 51! First round of shots and beer is on me!"

Everyone whoops and cheers as I laugh. Then we go our separate ways to shower and change, as our shift ends in 10 minutes, so we won't be getting another call.