Chapter 12

“You wanted to see me chief?”

“Yes. Come in and sit.”

I nod and quickly take a seat. Then he says, “I just got off of the phone with child services. They said that they have a whole list of kids waiting for families as there isn’t anyone available to take kids right now. Jake has been added to the list but they figure that it could take anywhere from few weeks to a year to find him a placement. They gave me some adoption centers we could take him to, but I was also wondering if you would be willing to take him until he finds a permanent place? He seemed to respond well to you.”

“I’d be honoured.”

He nods and I get up. Just as I exit I get a phone call. It’s Detective Erin Lindsey. I pick it up and say, “Hello?”

“Hey Quinn, its Erin. I heard that you were the one who rescued that kid Jake.”

“Yes.”

“Anyway, we found his step-dad and have him now. I just thought Jake would like to know.”

I thank her and then we hang up. Then I go to our sleeping quarters and see Jake sitting on my bed talking with Otis. They seem to be deep in conversation about some kind of video game. When I get there Otis stands up and says, “We can chat more later.”

I take Otis’ seat and say, “So first off, the police have your step-dad.”

He smiles and then I say, “Now you get to decide, good news or bad news?”

“Bad.”

“Bad news is that child services doesn’t have a family for you to be placed with right now. It could be awhile till they do. But the good news is that you get to stay with Lieutenant Severide and me until they do find you a place.”

He smiles and I say, “I can take you to our place now or you can hang out here until my shift ends tomorrow morning. Once I’m off shift tomorrow we can go to your old house and get your stuff.”

“Okay. Can I go there now?”

I nod and we go out to where the truck is. I go to our table and explain the situation. Everyone nods and we load our gear up just in case. Soon Jake is all settled in and we’re headed back to the firehouse.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for 1.4 K reads! If you haven't already checked out my Chicago P.D. fanfic please do! -Becca