Chapter 46

I take a deep breath and then walk into the firehouse with Kelly by my side. It's my first shift in the three months since I've been injured and I must admit that I'm kind of nervous. I debated not coming back after what I've been through, but without 51 I don't have a job and it's not fair to make Kelly work for all of our income until I find another job. I feel like I was born to be a firefighter so this is where I plan to stay.

Everyone cheers as I walk in, making me smile. I thank them all and then Chief says, "It's good to have you back Quinn."

I smile and say, "Good to be back Chief."

I'm about to go and put my things away when we get a call over the intercom saying, "Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61, Battalion 25, Level two hazmat, 3052 83rd street."

We all rush to gear up and hop in the truck. When we arrive on scene I see a couple of derailed oil cars and one that's already starting to catch fire. While Kelly, Chief, and Casey talk with the conductor the rest of us put on our oxygen masks. Once Kelly returns he says, "Truck is handling crowd control while we put out the fire and clean up. No one is missing so let's get down to it. Capp and Toni, you're with me handling the fire, Cruz and Quinn, you two can start cleaning."

We all nod and grab the necessary tools. Cruz and I each grab a bag of absorbent that will hopefully keep as much oil out of the ground as possible until a hazmat team can come and care for the mess properly.

In no time everything is under control and hazmat has arrived to take over so we all pack up and head back to the firehouse.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone! Thank you all for 38 300 reads!

So big news, I've finished writing this book! There's ten chapters left to go so I figure I'll keep updating at the same speed because I'm really sad to see this book ending.

But, in even bigger news, there will be a sequel! The next book in the series is called Second Chances and will be a continuation of Kelly and Quinn's life together. I'm really looking forward to it and can't wait to see what everyone else thinks.

I hope that you all have a great week! -Becca