Chapter 15

"Severide is stable Chief. Oh, and we're not all walking diseases."

I heave a sigh of relief when those words crackle through the radio. Soon they're all walking out of the building. Dawson then comes over to me and says, "They're stitching Kelly up right now but he won't be awake for another few hours."

I nod and go to the truck. When we arrive Chief calls me into his office. I take a seat and he says, "I realize that you're probably shaken from that incident but I need you to be the acting lieutenant on squad for the rest of the shift. I don't have time to call someone in and I know that you can do it but I assure you that it'll just be for this shift. I'll find someone else for until Kelly returns."

"I can do it till then Chief. I honestly don't mind and it'll be nice to have that responsibility again."

"Thank you. We'll go with that then. I'm sure that Kelly won't mind if you stay in his quarters so please do."

I nod and exit. I then go over to Kelly's room and close the door. I sit on the edge of the bed and pull out my phone. I dial Jake's number and he picks up on the first ring.

"Kelly is stable. The sedative is still wearing off but he'll be awake in a few hours."

"Good. Are the rest of you infected?"

"No, thank god. Whatever this guy had died with him."

"That's awesome. Do you think it would be alright if I visited Kelly?"

"Of course. Once the hospital calls and lets me know that he's up I'll text you. Kelly will like having you visit since I won't be there until after shift tomorrow.  Just make sure that you take a cab or bus so that you don't walk. There is a bit of money in the jar on top of the fridge that you can use but make sure that you're back at the apartment before 10:00, okay?"

"Yeah of course. Thanks Quinn."

We chat for a couple more minutes until Capp appears in the doorway. I hang up and he says, "Someone from child services his here to see you Quinn."

"I'll be right there. Oh and by the way its lieutenant Quinn to you until Kelly comes back."

He chuckles as I follow him to our meeting room. After I close the door a lady stands and says, "Quinten Cole?"

"Yes but I prefer to go by Quinn, if you don't mind."

"Of course not. My name is Julie Cho and I'm in charge of assigning children to adopting parents at child services."

We shake hands and then we both take a seat. She opens her folder and says, "So this tells me that you and Kelly Severide took temporary custody of Jake Summerfield 3 months ago after you rescued him from an attempt at suicide. Is that correct?"

"Yes."

"Well, we now have a couple that's looking for their first child. They're a young couple who want a bit of experience with an older child before talking on a younger one. Their names are Jenny and Mark James. I've already met with them personally and I believe that they'll be a perfect fit as he is a school counsellor and she runs a bakery. Of course we still want Jake to meet them and I would also like for you to be there so we can get your input as well. Would you be able to bring him to our offices tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock?"

"That would be perfect. Thank you so much for all of your effort."

We finish off and then I go out to talk with the rest of squad.

————————————————————————————————————————————————

I'm back!!! My trip was amazing but I'm so happy to be writing again! Thanks for reading! -Becca