Chapter 28

It's now been a week since Chase's death so today we're attending his funeral. Jake has been taking the whole thing quite well based on the situation. When I walk out of the bathroom I see Kelly standing there waiting for me looking mighty fine in his blues. Now the blues, if you aren't familiar with the term, is what we wear as firefighters to special events like a funeral. They're basically the equivalent to the fancy uniforms that soldiers in the military wear. It's really just a sign of respect for someone who passes away. Kelly hands me the cap for my uniform and then we go downstairs.

Jake is waiting there for us in his suit. I give him a hug and then we head out. When we arrive at the graveyard where we'll be having Chase's graveside funeral I'm shocked to see everyone else from 51 there, including Dawson, and everyone's family. We walk up to them and I say, "What are you all doing here?"

Hermann steps forward from the group and says, "Jake is part of the family at 51 now so the least we could do is come here today and support the kid."

I smile and so does Jake as we take our seats. The ceremony starts right on time and we listen to all the wonderful things that everyone has to say about Chase. Once the ceremony is over everyone stays seated as they go to the car to retrieve the casket. I exchange looks with everyone from the firehouse and they nod. Once they have the casket we all rise and salute. We stay in this position until the casket is placed in the ground. With that everyone disperses as they fill the hole with dirt. We're about to turn and leave when we hear Chase's Mom say, "Jake, can you come here for a minute please?"

He goes up to her and they chat for a few minutes before she hands Jake a box and leaves. Once we're in the car headed home I say, "What's that Jake?"

"A box that Chase kept his most important stuff in. She said that after looking through it she knew that Chase would want me to have it."

I nod as we pull up to the apartment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry it's been so long again guys but thanks for 13.7 K reads! I hope to update once more before my Christmas break ends! Oh and if you have no idea what I'm talking about with the whole blues thing I'm putting a picture at the top of the chapter for what they are. -Becca