Chapter 36

---Jake's POV---

It's now been a week since Quinn's accident. She hasn't woken up yet but her burns have been healing really well. They look almost like they did before the incident, just a little newer. Since she's been doing better she now has a 30% chance of living which is better than we could've hoped for.

I'm brought back to reality when the teacher says, "Jake, can you please take the Chromebook cart back to Mr. Peterson's class?"

I nod and then she dismisses us. I walk up to Kylie and say, "I'll meet you outside at our table, okay?"

She nods and leaves. Speaking of Kylie, things have been going really well between us. We've really gotten closer over the past week and I think we'd be really good as boyfriend and girlfriend.

I quickly grab the cart and go out into the busy hallway. After five minutes of fighting the crowd I make it to Mr. Peterson's classroom. I quickly plug in the cart and briskly walk back to my classroom to grab my things.

When I arrive all of the lights are shut off and the smart board is emitting an eerie, dark blue glow. I stride over to my desk and am about to pick up my books when the door slams shut.

I pick up my books and then go to the door. I try to turn the knob but it's stuck. I set my stuff down and put all of my weight into pushing the door open but it still won't budge.

I quickly turn around when I realize that I'm just wasting my efforts on the door and walk over to the phone. I look at the list my teacher has to find the number for the office.

I quickly find it and am about to pick up the phone and dial the number when it rings. I put the receiver up to my ear and say, "Hello?"

A robotic voice replies with, "Jake, someone you love is going to die soon."

I drop the phone quickly and look at it in horror as a long, slow beep comes from it, signalling that the call has been dropped.

Whoever was controlling it knows my name and has to be predicting Quinn's fate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you guys for 23.8 K reads! Hope you all had a good Easter! -Becca