Chapter 37

---Jake's POV---

I continue to look at the phone until I hear a sound and the room lights up. I look up and see that a fire has started near the door. I run forward and grab my water bottle right before my other things are engulfed in flames. I quickly dump the contents of the bottle on my books but nothing happens. Thinking that it wasn't enough water I grab my teacher's water jug and quickly dump it on the fire. Nothing happens so I figure that whatever started the fire must be able to produce its own oxygen.

I back up so I'm as far away from the fire as possible. I climb onto the back counter so that I can have more time to think. I look around for a fire extinguisher but see nothing.

Soon the room is almost entirely filled with smoke and I start coughing. I grab a sweater from the teacher's chair and wrap it around my nose and mouth to hold the effects of the smoke at bay for at least a little while. Boy am I glad that Kelly and Quinn have taught me tricks like these through their descriptions of different calls.

The sprinklers soon turn on but they do nothing except drench me in a matter of seconds. As the fire moves rapidly towards me I realize that my time for thinking is up. I know I can't escape through the door and using the phone to call for help would take too long. Yelling as loud as I can would only waste what little oxygen I have left and there is no guarantee that anyone would hear me anyway.

My only option is to go through the window. I try opening all of them but none even move an inch. Next I try throwing a textbook at them but it falls in defeat. I try the biggest binder I can find but even that doesn't break the glass. As the fire draws closer and closer I finally have no choice but to break the glass by doing it with my body.

I point my shoulder at the window, close my eyes, and jump with all my weight into the window. I hear the sound of shattering glass and then I land hard on the ground, getting the wind knocked out of me. I groan and roll onto my back and see people crowded around me from every direction.

Kylie's face then appears above me and then she says, "Jake! What the hell happened? You look awful!"

----------------------------------------

Thanks for 24.7 K reads! I hope you all have a good weekend! -Becca