Chapter 27

I wake when I feel someone shake my shoulder. I pull the covers up around my head and say, "What time is it?" 

I hear Kelly laugh and then he says, "8 o'clock."

 I sit upright in the bed and say, "It's too early! What do you want?"

 "Jake wants to go visit Chase,just like we promised last night."

 I nod and get out of bed. I grab some clothes from the closet, go to the bathroom, and shower quickly. I get ready just as fast and go downstairs. When I make it to the kitchen Kelly hands me my breakfast and I eat faster than I thought possible. I quickly brush my teeth and then we head out. When we arrive Jake leads us to the room that Chase is in. When we get there the room is empty. We all take a seat as Chase is probably just in surgery. After sitting for half an hour Dr. Rhodes, one of the trauma surgeons at Chicago Med, walks into the room, obviously shocked to see us. Then he says, "Didn't you guys hear?"

 Jake rises from his chair and says, "Hear what?" 

Dr. Rhodes gets a pained look on his face and then he says, "Chase passed away last night around midnight. His surgery didn't go as planned. I tried everything I could to get him to wake up but there wasn't anything more I could for him. I'm sorry."

 Jake stands there shocked and Dr. Rhodes says, "I know that this can't be easy for you Jake but I hope you can find some comfort in the fact that he never regained consciousness since he passed out when he was with you. It doesn't sound like that would be a good thing but it is as it means that he didn't feel any pain." 

Jake nods and Connor leaves. Once it's just us in the room all of Jake's tears spill out onto his cheeks and he rushes over to me. He sits down on my lap and wraps his arms around me. I hold him tight and rub his back. Kelly puts his arms around us and I hear him quietly sniffle as well. 

Jake is only 14 and he's been to hell and back several times. I wish that I could just fix it all for him.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

Thank you guys for 12.3 K reads! Also, I just made a Chicago Med fanfic called 'Real Emergencies' so I'd love it if you guys could go check that one out! Thanks! -Becca