Chapter 5

I run up to 51 as fast as I can. Of course my car had to break down, making me run to work. And of course I’m still considered new here as I’ve only been here for 3 months.

When Severide sees me he follows me to the locker room. As I begin changing he says, “Why are you late?”

“My car broke down.”

“You could’ve called me and asked for a ride you know.”

“Next time.”

He nods and leaves. I throw my bag in my locker and go join the rest of squad at our table. As soon as I sit down they all start making jokes about me being late. After about 10 seconds of it Kelly says, “Enough. You’ve all been late before too.”

That shuts all of them up. I smile and he smiles back. Then they all get smirks on their faces. I throw a peanut at each of them and say, “We are not a thing. Just friends.”

Capp laughs and says, “Friends with benefits I’m sure.”

“Shut your pie hole you dirty minded baldie!”

“Shots fired!!” Brett yells as everyone within ear shot laugh hysterically. Our laughter is interrupted by the horn that signals a call.

Then the intercom says, “Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61, one car crash, 17th and 50th Avenue.”

We run to the truck and get our gear on. Then we hop in and I start driving. When we arrive at the scene Severide quickly puts us into groups. We go our separate ways as I Kelly and I rush to the car. As soon as I finish my analysis I say, “I saw something like this in Boston once. We won’t get the door off unless we go at it from underneath. I can do it, but I’ll need a saws-all.”

“I’ll go grab you one."

When I receive it I slide under the car. I’ll have just enough room to work. When I just about have the door off I hear chief yell, “Quinn get out! The wheels are going to give!”

I throw the saw down and just have my head out when the wheels cave. I scream out in pain as everyone runs to get the car jacks. In what seems like forever they have the car lifted up enough to slide me out. Brett and Mills rush over and they slide a backboard under me.

They slide me out, and then put a neck brace on me. With the help of Kelly and a few others, they lift me onto the stretcher. Then we rush to the ambulance, Kelly by my side the whole time. When we get in and start driving they take off my jacket and put me on oxygen.

My vision starts to blur and the last thing I remember that day is the look of worry on Kelly’s face.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suspense!! Anyway this chapter doesn't have a dedication because no one voted and commented so my lat offer still stands! Be the first to vote and comment! -Becca