Chapter 23

After I drop Jake off at school I quickly drive over to 51. Jake's been with us for 4 months now and the 3 of us couldn't possibly be happier about it. Jake is also doing so much better. His mental health is really good.

 When I arrive at the firehouse I quickly put my stuff away and then go and chat with Chillie and Brett. It's definitely weird not having Dawson here but I know that she's in good hands since she's staying with Casey. Speaking of Casey, he was found being held hostage by the owner of the strip club he did construction for. We were all relived that he was found a few days after Dawson discovered he was missing. When he walks into the common area I say, "How's Dawson doing?"

 "Really good. She's had a couple episodes of morning sickness but other than that it's been smooth sailing." 

"That's great. How are you feeling about all of this?" 

"Good but nervous. I'm excited to be a Dad though." 

I smile as he walks away. I finish chatting with the girls and then go outside to find everyone else from squad doing drills. I walk up to Kelly and say, "You're doing drills and didn't invite me?"

 "Yes. I don't think you really need the practice."

 "Just because I'm your girlfriend doesn't mean I don't need the practice."

 "Alright, fine. Since you're so keen on practicing you can be a victim with Capp."

 I nod and lay down beside him. We're about to start the drill when the buzzer goes. As we run inside the dispatcher says, "Truck 81; Squad 3; Ambulance 61; Bombing incident; Curie High School."

 I suit up just like normal but as we're driving to the scene I say, "Wait a minute. That's Jake's school." 

"Dammit you're right. You better floor it now." Kelly says while he looks at me with worry on his face. 

Everyone holds on tighter as I increase our speed and begin to drive with urgency.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you guys so much for 7.55 K reads!! Sorry I haven't updated in awhile but I just started high school and have had volleyball tryouts all week so it's been hard to find time to write but I plan to do lots of writing this weekend!! -Becca