Chapter 31

I quietly close the door to the apartment and head down to the car. Kelly starts it and then we start our drive to work. It's been a few weeks since Kelly and I had our argument and I have to say, I'm super happy that I didn't transfer houses. I love working at 51 and I don't even know why I wanted to transfer. It was probably the want to be a lieutenant again. I do miss it but I'm happy not having all of that responsibility. 

When we arrive I quickly put my things away and start cleaning my equipment. I'm about halfway through when the buzzer goes and the announcer says, "Truck 81, Squad 3, Battalion 25, Ambulance 61, House Fire, 50 Willows Street."

 We quickly throw on our gear and hop in the truck. I start it and pull out of the house. A couple of minutes later we pull up to the scene. We hop out and grab our oxygen tanks. We clear the house quickly and just as we're about to fire up the water cannons I see a figure moving in the basement. I run over to Kelly and say, "There's someone in the basement. I'm the only person who's small enough to fit through the window so I'll go in."

 He nods and I throw on my mask while Kelly breaks the window. I drop in and see a man lying on the floor coughing. I quickly scan the room for anything to stand on and spot a desk. I push it towards the window until its right underneath so we can make a quick escape. I then go and retrieve the man. We get up on the desk and Kelly and Casey grab him by the shoulders and pull him out. I'm about to start climbing out on my own when the desk collapses. I get caught off balance, fall, and hit the cement floor very hard. 

With all of the impact my oxygen mask snaps off and I can no longer breathe. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Thanks so much for 17.6 K reads! Hope the rest of your day is amazing! -Becca