Chapter 54

When Chief Mahone enters the apparatus floor Kelly and I quickly scramble out of our seats and rush over to him. He holds up a hand to get us to calm down so we both regain composure as quickly as possible. Once he's sure that we've both settled down he says, "Can we go somewhere that's a bit more private?"

Kelly nods and we all head inside to the conference room. When we arrive there the three of us take a seat. Chief Mahone removes his hat and says, "Thanks to Jenny and Mark James' mistake of trying to kidnap Kelly, we had them in custody in fairly short order. They're with the CPD now and are in holding cells while we determine what charges to press."

I nod and say, "That's great. We couldn't have asked for better news."

Mahone nods and then Kelly says, "What charges are they facing?"

He pulls a sheet out of his briefcase and says, "As of right now they're for sure facing child abuse, assault of a minor, criminal negligence, and attempted abduction as well as two counts of arson and attempted murder. The CPD are doing an investigation into the two of them to see if there is anything else they can be charged with."

We both nod and Kelly says, "I think that this is better than we all could've hoped for."

Chief Mahone nods and then we all stand and exit the conference room. He's about to leave when he turns back around and says, "I almost forgot to tell you this, but it looks like we won't need a trial. There's plenty of evidence to put them away without one and they're not denying their actions."

We both nod and then he leaves. Kelly pulls me into his warm, calming embrace and says, "It's over baby."

I nod and we share in a quick kiss. He then goes to tell Boden the news while I call Jake. Once they've both been informed we tell everyone else the good news.

-------------------------

Hey guys! Sorry that its been so long and thank you for 67 300 reads!

So...I am finishing New Beginning today! I can't believe its almost over but I can't wait to start the sequel! (The prologue of which I will be posting today.) It's called Second Chances and I hope it'll be just as good, if not better! -Becca