CHAPTER 60:

Rebecca

Wednesday rolled around quickly and I woke up to the sound of my alarm.

I stretched and reached over to find the bed empty beside me. There was a note on Adam's pillow.

Opening bartender called out, so I had to go in early. I'll miss brunch today, I'm sorry.
-Adam

I invited Adam to come with me, but I sighed and crumbled the note. It's probably for the best that he doesn't get to know my family. Something could happen and how would I explain everything to him?

My phone chimed and I saw Reese's name fly on the screen.

"Hello?" I greeted tiredly.

"Bex!" A voice screams, causing me to move the phone away from my ear.

"You're very awake today Reese," I groaned and stood up from the bed.

"I'm just happy that we're all going to be together again," Reese pointed out as I nodded and smiled.

"I've missed everyone," I revealed and I heard Reese smile.

"I'll give you ten minutes to get ready, Morgan and I are waiting outside for you!" He boasted brightly as I chuckled and shook my head.

"I might need fifteen minutes," I chuckled before hanging up.

I walked into the bathroom to assess myself. I looked very tired so I washed my face with cold water and put on a little makeup.

My hair was a tangled mess so I brushed it out and threw it up in a claw clip.

It was going to be hot today so I put on a pair of light wash shorts, a burgundy tank top and a pair of sandals. I finished by brushing my teeth and applying a thin layer of lip gloss.

I rushed down the stairs and grabbed my white crossbody purse and opened the door to see Reese and Morgan.

I ran over to Reese and gave him a big hug before turning to Morgan.

He hadn't changed much. His mocha skin still brought out the gold flecks in his eyes and he still looked youthful.

The only thing that changed about Morgan was his hair. He always kept it in small dreads that were at his shoulders. Now he had the sides shaved and the top short, his kinky coils laid down.

"You cut your hair," I pointed out.

"You did too," he answered and reached in for a hug. "It's good to see you Bex."

"You too Morgan. I missed you both," I smiled at them. "Is Xander coming?" I asked as they fell silent. "What's wrong?"

"He had to bail last minute," Morgan revealed and shrugged his shoulders. "Probably has to deal with Lion business," he added with a scoff.

Reese elbowed him and he winced.

"He's only with them to protect us," Reese defended.

I felt my expression deflate.

He's only with them to protect me.

"He'll be at the party though. Said he's not going to miss it," Reese added quickly, my expression becoming vibrant again.

"We only get so much time together today, let's just enjoy it, yeah?" Morgan suggested and we all nodded. "So there's this awesome cafe on sixth street, I mean the food is delicious and the girls are hot," Morgan continued as we all walked to the car.

"I thought you liked that waitress in New York," Reese pointed out. "You went there like everyday just to see her. What was her name again?" Reese jokingly pondered.