CHAPTER 76:

Rebecca

I squeeze my eyes shut even tighter for a moment, but when I hear gunshot after gunshot, my eyes burst open.

My eyes first find Lachlan, on his knees, screaming in pain.

His gun was nowhere to be seen while his hand was bleeding as well as his back; the blood pierced through his shirt, soaking the gray fabric in red blood.

Adam was lying on the ground next to him but I couldn't tell if he was okay or not.

Leon grabs Lachlan's waist and pulls him up before helping him run off into the shadows to disappear.

The men that jumped me before ran to Killian and I to take us away, but suddenly, they were all on the ground, bullets in their chests and crying out in pain.

"Rebecca! Killian!" I hear a familiar voice scream as it gets closer and closer. "Are you guys okay?" Reese's voice sounded petrified as he dropped to his knees behind Killian and I to untie our bound hands.

A large group of men follow behind Reese and then scatter to chase after Leon and Lachlan, shooting a few rounds as they go.

"Reese, what's going on?" I asked breathlessly, my eyes becoming blurry and my cheeks becoming wet.

"We got a call. Told us to come here to find you before it was too late. Killian got here first," he explains as he finally breaks the ropes tying my hands.

He jolts over to then untie Killian's hands.

I look over to view the large field and it looks like a war zone. All over the park men were shooting at each other, taking cover, bodies falling, and blood shooting in all directions.

"Killian are you alright?" I ask, trying to pull my focus back to reality.

He gives a chuckle, a reaction too strange for the situation and one that empowered me to focus.

"Oh yeah—I only found a note from my apparent ex-fiancé right after she agreed to marry me, and then sped here to get to you before everyone else and got ambushed and was beaten. So yeah, I'm fucking peachy Rebecca!" He shouts as Reese finishes untying him.

He stands and then lifts my body up with his effortlessly, gluing me to his side and we start running, but he practically has to drag me along.

"You are not getting away from me again," he sternly says.

"Wait—what about Reese and Adam!" I try to turn but Killian's hold on me is firm.

"Lachlan killed Adam before he was shot, and Reese is getting out," he says as we pick up speed toward the trees.

Before we reached the leafy green cover, I felt a sharp pain in my left calf, which caused me to stop in my tracks.

"Dammit," I scream and fall to my knees.

"Oh no you don't," Killian says as he picks me up with both of his arms to help me get to safe cover. "We are in this together, remember? You can't just leave like that on me—not again."

I gave a forced laugh and then I noticed his shirt was splattered in a bit of blood around his torso, but it was my blood, and my left calf was oozing with blood.

I had been shot;

Great.

"What the hell happened?" Xander screams as he emerges from the bushes around us.

"What the hell Xander! Where did you go!" I yell and punch at his chest.

"Ow! Relax!" Xander uttered and grabbed at my hands so I wouldn't be able to hit him anymore.