CHAPTER 2:

Rebecca

Reese cut the engine of the motorcycle and parked it about a block away from the Brooklyn docks. As he flipped the kickstand and started to take off his helmet, I stayed on the bike, confused.

I take off my helmet and pat down my helmet hair before swinging my left leg over the bike to get off.

"Why the weird face Bex?" He asked as he studied my scrunched face. As if guessing what my thoughts were, he said, "I am parking a block away so no one will hear, or see us coming."

"I guess that's a pretty reasonable excuse for my legs, which will be one hundred percent jelly after running to the docks."

He chuckled and placed his fingers to his bottom lip to tug on it for a moment, thinking, then after he contemplated, he spat out directions.

"We will have to climb to the top of the storage units in Sector C because the meeting spot is probably in Sector A. Sector A is the most spacious, closest to the water, and with the least amount of storage units, making it perfect for a large order to come to."

"Why are we going to be so far away?"

"So many questions tonight Bex," he laughs and I can't help but laugh too because it was so infectious. "Dad has his inner circle with him and he has guards strategically placed all around at these shipments, but he never lets them stray past the next sector for safety and communicational reasons."

"How do you know so much about these pickups?"

"It's because I'm the one that took a giant ass crane and put the storage units in the places that they are in now. I know the place inside and out because the map is up here," he points to his head.

"Alright then. Let's go," I start to run down the sidewalk but Reese grabs my arm. "What now?" I shake it off and try to calm my frustrated and antsy expression.

He sighs and then looks down. "We were told—noordered by Dad not to come here tonight, but we are here against his orders anyways. No matter what happens tonight, we do not interfere with whatever happens. We can only interfere if the gang is in danger. Then, we can try to take out men from the top of the units," he makes guns with his fingers. "Otherwise, we are two ghosts that only see and hear what is going on. Nothing gets repeated that was heard tonight. I am in charge of you tonight so you will listen to my signals and commands, yes?"

"Yes, Underboss," I salute to him and then bow with a poor attempt at a straight face.

He narrows his eyes at me and scrunches his nose, but shakes his head and gives a chuckle.

"Not funny Bex."

"Then why are you laughing then?" I poke him in the stomach a few times, and then turn to run down the street. He catches up to me fairly quickly because of his long strides, but I could out race him any day.

Reese has brains, but I have speed.

I follow Reese like a lost puppy as we weave in and out of the stacked units. They are about eight stacked high, each a different rusted and faded color, and have ladders on the sides. As soon as Reese stopped, I stopped. As soon as he went, I went.

I have always known where the docks were, mapwise, in Brooklyn, but I have never been here, so I'm not too sure what to expect or see.

Reese finds a unit marked C and then pushes me up the ladder first. At the very top, I realize how high it actually is, and how much of the city you can actually see.

You can see all of the tallest buildings in New York, glowing, spreading the light across the sparkling, black water.

"Bex," Reese whispers, snapping me out of my thoughts, as he climbs to the top. "Don't stand, someone will definitely see you." He pulls me down to my knees and I silently apologize. "We may be far away, but if standing, we will be spotted."