CHAPTER 61:

Rebecca

I still had to work after brunch, so Reese and Morgan dropped me off at home where I got changed and drove to work.

"Something wrong?" Adam asked when he saw me.

He was in the back office counting the drawers from the morning to get ready for the evening.

"Nope," I said and gave him a smile.

He cocked his head to the side and gave me a disapproving look but went back to counting.

I clocked in and started my shift.

The evening went by fast. It was busy, and busy was good. Gave me no time to think about anything except for my job and I'm grateful I wasn't able to think about anything else.

Before Adam left, he handed me the keys to close up. Closing wasn't bad, it was just late and I'd be by myself.

When all the staff left, I took my time counting the money drawers. My mind went wild then, and I couldn't control my thoughts.

I want to see my brother, Luca. I didn't want to face my Dad—well, Dante, for what he had done to Xander and I.

And I was so selfish, starting a brand new life; I completely shut everyone out. So much so that I didn't even know Luca's name until Reese told me.

I fumbled with the money for the third time, always losing count, so I focused incredibly hard and finished the count before writing down the total and shoving the bills into the safe under the desk.

My phone went off then and I checked to see who it was.

Adam: Are you still there?

Me: yes, almost done.

I threw my phone in my purse and walked out the front door, locking it behind me.

It was a dark and cool night, but you could still feel the warmth the wind blew along with the salt from the ocean.

I grabbed my keys from my purse and opened my car door when suddenly my head hit the door.

I dropped my bag and I was pressed up against the car, not being able to see who was behind me.

My head pounded and I felt stinging above my brow where the top of the door frame hit me.

"Get out of this city Rebecca," a man whispered deeply, his breath causing my hair to move.

I tried to free myself from his grasp but he held me too tightly.

"You'll regret it if you stay," he mumbled quickly before releasing my body and running away.

I picked up my bag and got in the car quickly, locking it.

I didn't see who it was.

Only a dark figure running away.

My head was stinging more now and I looked in the rear view mirror to see a cut above my eyebrow, blood dripping down from it.

"Dammit," I cursed and fumbled to find my phone.