CHAPTER 44:

Killian

As Reese was just about to bolt out of the mansion, he stepped back to let someone inside.

An officer came in.

It was the same officer that brought Rebecca and I here when we were caught on my motorcycle a few months ago.

His brown hair was shaggy and his brown eyes had bad news laced within them.

His name tag read: Atkins.

I looked at Dante and he welcomed him with a half smile.

Following the officer Xander trailed in, who had red eyes.

"Xander," Dante breathed out, taking a few steps toward him.

Xander shook his head no and Dante stepped back.

"It's been a while Dante," the officer broke the rough silence with his calm tone.

"You as well Gage. Are you here on police business?" Dante warily asked as Gage shook his head.

"You might want to take a seat for what I'm about to tell you," he spoke quietly as Dante stumbled back onto the couch.

"Spit it out Gage, whatever it is," Dante spoke confidently, but with worry laced in his voice.

"There was an accident," Gage started as Dante instantly grabbed a bottle and poured a drink. "On the way to Alexandra's appointment the car was ambushed," he explained as Dante slammed his drink on the table.

"I don't want to hear the rest!" He yelled as he stood up and ran his hands through his hair.

Gage sighed and kept going. "The car was heavily damaged and at the scene it was flipped and—"

"Not another word!" Dante yelled as he walked up to Gage.

Gage towered over him and placed his hand on Dante's shoulder.

"Tyson died on the scene and Alexandra was brought to the hospital by one of Lachlan's men," Gage finished as Dante pushed his hand off his shoulder and backed up against a wall.

"How is she and the baby now?" He asked cautiously as he clutched his heart with his hands, breathing heavily.

"She had internal bleeding from the accident and the doctors had to perform an emergency c-section. Your baby boy is premature, but he's going to be just fine," Gage flashed a small smile as Dante sighed out.

"A boy?" He asked through a sob. "And what is Alexandra's condition?" He asked as Gage lost his smile.

Oh no.

"What of my wife Gage!" Dante yelled as Gage took a deep breath.

"The doctors couldn't stop the bleeding. They did everything they could but—"

"Don't you dare finish that sentence Gage!" Dante interrupted, his loud voice harsh, exhorting through the house. "Don't you dare tell me she's gone!" He boomed again as Gage stayed silent. "Oh my God," Dante breathed out as he fell to the floor, tears falling from his eyes and down his flushed cheeks.