CHAPTER 59:

Rebecca

Xander stood outside with a bright smile and open arms.

"What are you doing here?" I asked incredulously as my jaw dropped.

"Not the reaction I was hoping for," Xander spoke unsurely as his smile faded and his arms dropped slowly.

I ran to him and he engulfed me in a hug before he lowered his arms any further.

"Where have you been? What happened? I was so worried," I spilled out as Xander pushed me back slightly.

"I'm fine Bex," Xander reassured as he gave me a smile.

Adam coughed then and I looked over to him.

His brows were raised and the wrinkles in his forehead stood out.

"Is this the ex?" He asked quietly as I let out a small chuckle.

"No, this is my brother, Xander," I introduced as Adam's brows returned to place.

"Right, um, I'm Adam," he hesitantly introduced and offered his hand.

"Xander," he icily spoke as he tightly grasped Adam's hand.

"I'm gonna go upstairs and shower so you two can catch up," Adam awkwardly announced before he gave me a tight smile and backed up to the stairs.

"He's the boyfriend?" Xander asked with scrutiny in his voice.

I hit his shoulder and he winced slightly.

"He's nice," I argued as he rolled his eyes.

"You see him? He looked so pale when he saw me. He's a marshmallow," Xander chuckled as I hit him again.

"Stop it! He's normal and I like that," I reasoned as he scoffed. "Come in before I change my mind," I said as Xander chuckled.

He sat down on the couch and I stopped at the bar cabinet.

"Want anything?" I asked as I poured myself a Malibu and pineapple.

"Scotch on the rocks please," he said as I poured his drink and brought it over to him.

"How are you Xander?" I asked quietly as he took a sip of his drink.

"I'm fine Bex," he spoke through tight lips.

"What happened last year? Why come back now?"

"It's complicated, but I did it to save you and Damian. And well, Lachlan doesn't know I'm here," he revealed as I raised my brows. "You think I'd miss Reese's birthday?" He continued as I let out a deep breath.

"But you'll go back to Lachlan after," I presumed as he nodded.

"It's not all that bad," he tried to justify to make me feel better. "Look, I didn't come back to talk about the shit I've been through," he spoke sternly as I sighed. "How are you? Marshmallow makes you happy huh?" He teased me as I threw a pillow at him.

"Stop calling him that!" I scolded and then sighed. "Everything is simple with him. No gangs, no violence. Just a simple, vanilla life," I breathed out heavily.