CHAPTER 55:

Xander

"Ready," I said as Lachlan smiled widely.

He extended his arms out and gave me a tight squeeze.

"I have been waiting for this moment since you were taken from me," he sighed as he let me go. "Are you two here to wish him off?" He snapped at Reese and Killian.

Lachlan tilted his head slightly at them, causing them to lift their weapons at Reese and Killian.

"I asked them to come," I said to draw attention from them and onto myself. "They're here to do exactly that—wish me off," I trailed out as Lachlan looked away from them and to me.

He placed his hands out to the sides and his men cooled off and lowered their weapons.

"Though I do enjoy goodbyes, this is family business," Lachlan started as I scrunch my nose. "We have no time to waste. We must get moving son," he said as he snapped to one of his men.

The man came close to me and started patting me down for any weapons.

"Clean boss," he said.

"You think I'd bring a weapon here?" I questioned with a sick playfulness in my voice.

Although I did have an army here and Reese and Killian were armed, I wasn't because I knew he'd search me.

"Just to be sure," Lachlan smiled. "It's time to go my son, we have plenty of catching—" he started but one of his men whispered into his ear.

I couldn't make out what he was saying, but with every sentence, Lachlan's face grew angrier, and in that moment, I knew we had been made.

"You think you children can make a fool out of me?" He shouted in anger, pacing back and forth in the mud. "Call that bloody body hunter and tell him to bring my daughter to me!" He shouted.

"No a chance in hell," Killian challenged as he pulled out a gun and pointed it at Lachlan.

Leon pulled one on Killian and before Reese pulled one on Leon, he threw me a spare gun from his waistband.

"It's over Lachlan, we have Rebecca and there's no way you'll find her," Reese exclaimed as Lachlan put a wicked smile on his face.

"You three really think you can take on my army?" Lachlan spoke confidently as he looked around him arrogantly.

"Who said it was just the three of us?" I smiled as Haywood's men walked out from the trees.

I saw Lachlan's smile fall slightly as he looked around at the numbers we suddenly possessed.

I smiled wider at his reaction, but it then turned back into a smile and he started laughing.

"You think you've won?" He questioned while laughing. "Remember, I'm always one step ahead," he smiled as he turned to Killian. "How long has it been since you've heard from little Damian, Killian?" Lachlan sadistically questioned as Killian froze in place.

"What did you do with Damian?" Killian hollered as he stepped closer to Lachlan.

Leon placed his gun at Killian's temple and Reese stepped up to Leon, none of them backing down.

"Have I hit a nerve?" Lachlan smiled as he placed his hand up.

One of his men handed him a tablet and he played a live video of Damian strapped to a chair, beaten and bruised.

His hair was swept off his forehead, sweaty and bloody. His eyes were swollen, purple and almost completely shut. His nose was streaming down blood onto his clothes and the floor.

"I'll kill you, you son of a bitch," Killian spat as Lachlan laughed loudly.

"If I die here tonight, you can watch Damian die before my men kill you too," he laughed as Killian and Reese lowered their weapons.

Leon kept his weapon at Killian's temple and was not going to lower it.

"Seems I am yet again, and always will be, one step ahead of you," Lachlan smiled as Reese and Killian froze in silence.

This was it.

"Take me," I spoke up as all eyes slowly looked at me in confusion.

"What was that son?" Lachlan asked curiously with a sense of victory dancing through his tone.

"This was a trick. A setup to get Bex from you and I was never really going to give myself up, but you're one step ahead. You have insurance that keeps any one of us from crossing you tonight," I trailed on as I looked at Killian and Reese.

"What are you getting at?" Lachlan asked as I took a deep breath.

"If you give Damian back to Killian and let Rebecca go free, I'll go with you, willingly and do whatever you want," I proposed as all faces turned to shock.

"Xander, are you mad?" Reese shouts.

"Shut it Reese," I shouted. "This is how my fight ends," I whispered to him with a small smile to let him know I'll be alright.

"You think I'd just let my daughter go free?" Lachlan questions incredulously.

"I'm willing to bet you want me more," I challenged as he raised his eyebrows. "And besides, I'm a hell of a lot more fun and free range than Bex will ever be," I snickered as Lachlan's smile grew three sizes.

"Gentlemen, keep close tabs on my daughter, but let her enjoy her life," Lachlan started before turning to me. "I want you to stay away from my daughter. That is my one condition," he spoke in a sadistic and icy tone, causing my nostrils to flare.

"Like hell that's gon—" Killian hissed.

"It's done. He'll stay away from her," I cut him off and shot him an angry look.

"Great," Lachlan smiled widely. "Return young Damian to his brother and let everyone know that my boy is finally coming home," he shouted as the rest of his members cheered in excitement.

I dropped my gun to the ground and turned to Reese and gave him a huge hug.

"Don't look for me. Don't worry about me. Forget I even existed, because I won't be coming back. I love you Reese, take care of Rebecca and tell her I love her," I told him before I let go.

"I love you too brother," he choked out.

I took a deep breath and looked at Lachlan.

"Let's go," I told him as we all walked into the trees.

I looked back at Reese and Killian until I couldn't see them anymore and Lachlan pat my back as though I was the greatest prize he had...