CHAPTER 46:

Killian

I knew I had been sitting on the floor all day because by the time I got up, it was dark and crickets were chirping from outside.

The house was dark and empty, not a single person was anywhere to be seen.

Everyone was tucked away in their room with the door shut and their light off. Except for Dante.

He was tucked away in his office with his light on, working, scrambling actually, trying to make himself busy so his thoughts won't get the best of him.

I know what that feels like, losing someone you love. He's in denial, but when reality hits him, and it will, I don't think he'll ever come out of his office.

I should be doing the same, burying myself in something so my thoughts don't take over.

What if he hurts her?

Let his gangsters do whatever they want to her?

Is she even alive?

I grabbed my leather jacket and my keys before I ran out the front door and swung my leg over my bike.

Dante kept it here while we were all in Russia.

I put my helmet on and clicked the strap before turning on the ignition and revved the bike, the beautiful vehicle roaring to life.

I rode slowly up to the gate and punched in the code to unlock it. It slowly withdrew in front of me, but as soon as I had enough space to leave, I sped out.

I rode for hours on my bike, the dark streets merely lit by street lamps and a few buildings, guiding my path to a place I hadn't been for a long time.

I dismounted my bike and walked up to the door of my tech guy, Derek's place.

"Derek," I called out. "It's Killian," I called out again, this time being greeted with the sound of at least six locks being undone.

The door swung open and low and behold, Derek was leaning against the door frame with his arms crossed over his chest.

He had a dark beanie over his dark hair, some of it covering his brown eyes. He looked like a brooding high school kid—so, nothing has changed since I last saw him.

"I see you're still here," Derek hissed.

"I see you've still got your charming attitude," I rolled my eyes as he moved aside and let me in his hideout.

"So, what do you need now, Killian?" He asked half sarcastically.

"I need you to help me find Rebecca," I told him as he sighed loudly.

"Again? How deep are you in the Vecellio shit huh?" He criticized as he opened a basement door to his bunker.

He flipped a light switch and we walked downstairs.

I looked around and everything seemed to be the same.

Computers with high tech, security footage playing on televisions, and satellite detection pulsing from every rooftop in New York.

"That doesn't matter, just help me find her."

"No," he told me before he pulled out a chair and sat down.

"No? What do you mean no?"

"I mean no. You got sucked into the Vecellio shit—this is Dante's fight, always has been and always will be. Leave yourself and me out of it," he hissed before he stood up and started walking away.