CHAPTER 23:

Killian

I got a text from Damian while getting changed in the bathroom.

He said Xander contacted him and set up the meeting spot at one of Ruslan's bars tomorrow morning.

Encrypted message my ass.

When I came out of the bathroom, I expected Rebecca to jump at my throat or rush into the bathroom, but instead, I found her completely unconscious on the bed.

She didn't even pull back the sheets before she passed out.

The sedative must still be in her system, making her tired.

I leaned over her and brushed her hair with my fingers.

She looked so calm and peaceful.

I lifted the sheets up on her side and slid her body under them before I crawled in and kept to my side.

For some reason though, I couldn't sleep.

My mind was running wild, conflicting thoughts pierced my mind.

Am I trying to protect her because my ass is on the line? Or maybe because I genuinely don't want to see her be hurt?

Why do I need to be around her though?

It's like I can't let her go...

Maybe I just like her company?

The agreement. We're in the same situation—yeah, that's it—she can relate to our rivalry, that's why I feel the need to protect her from all of this and that's why I'm around her.

While my thoughts ran wild, I noticed a shift in the bed.

I turned my body around and I was engulfed in Rebecca's arms.

She snuck both of them around my waist and pressed her head on my chest.

I stiffened as she did this.

Her body was as cold as ice, and she was shivering slightly.

"I'm going to regret this one day Princess, but for now, I'm tired," I groaned to myself before I placed both of my arms around her and pulled her cold body closer to mine.

Within a few minutes, her breathing slowed and her body became warm.

We slept like that throughout the night, but around five in the morning, I untangled her arms from my body and made my side of the bed to perfection, making it look like I was never there.

Why did I do that?

Maybe I want to forget how we slept.

I comforted her. I got close, and I shouldn't be doing that.

She has to hate me.

But why is it so damn hard to make her hate me?

I sighed and got dressed for the day before I made my way into the kitchen to make the coffee.

"Fancy seeing you up this early Killian," Dominick greeted as he entered the kitchen, looking like he's ready for an interview.

"Considering we both are staying here, there's nothing fancy about it Dom," I utter as he chuckled.

"Just trying to make conversation Killian," Dominick tried to defend as I scoffed.