[20]

September fortieth, fourteen twenty.

Luz woke up to a witch under her arm, blanket over herself, and a tail in her face. "Finally." Cheshire purred, hopping off the ledge and on to the bed. "I've been trying to get you to sneeze for a few minutes now."

She rolled her eyes, pulling Amity closer, kissing her head, "Mm.." Amity curled up slightly, nuzzling in to Luz's chest.

"Come on, up and at em." Cheshire hissed softly.

"I'm on my day off..Leave me be.." Luz rubbed Amity's back, kissing her head again.

Cheshire rolled his eyes, "Get up, Luz. My people require assistance, and if I'm not mistaken.." He glared back at her. "You promised to help me out to care for my people so we'd be alright. Or, did I mishear?"

Luz growled, pushing herself up, angrily getting out of bed. She moved her pillow in place of herself for Amity, kissing her cheek before picking Cheshire up. "Breakfast first, then I get ready. Yeah?"

"You better eat quick, we've got a lot of work to do."

^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^

Luz helped Parvati plant in two acres of land with the help of her neighbor and Charlie. Then she went to the town to help with the foot traffic, using colored dirt to make lines. It, worked, actually. She made sure to ask for a day off where the workers would be allowed to feast in the hall for free so those from construction could make paths.

Cheshire signed, and the paper was mailed to the castle with the promise of their rebellion being canceled. Yes, that was what Luz said would happen if guards weren't sent to protect the little town. "Much appreciated, Luz." Cheshire purred. "We keep this herd in during summer to collect their wool."

"And two weeks before fall, you stop and let it regrow?" Luz scratched the fluffy head of the sheep that rubbed against her knee.

Cheshire nodded, "It'd be cruel to leave them to freeze during the colder months. They're let outside to eat the weeds, then they return during December."

"Do you label them?" Luz asked, grabbing the handle and closing the doors.

"The ones born in this year, we do. The older ones, eight to ten, are kept here for a final shed before they pass. Either to health problems, or to their hand." He looked to his left.

Luz looked, a butcher patting a sheep's head, gently taking it to the other entrance into the barn. "Do you ever feel bad, Cheshire?"

"I do, but it's a way of life. And there's nothing we can do to stop it." He shook his head. "But we treat them right, care for them as best we can. In these months, all we can do, is pray. That they come back in time."

^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^

"Back.." Luz sighed, closing the door behind her after she entered. "Ooh boy.."

"Welcome back." Parvati smiled. "Just wrapping up dinner, how was it?"

"It was alright..Sheeps..Smell terrible." Luz went over to the chairs, sitting down. "Remind me to bring a clothespin."

Parvati chuckled, "If you can find one."

"Do you leave them on a rack?" Luz hummed.

"I do, the corners are held down by tiny rocks, left out in the sun. When we get out day off, one of us farmers takes care of everything, helps us fold, sort, the usual. Two snails from each of us, sometimes they treat us out to dinner so that's a plus!"

"You lot are amazing," Luz smiled. "I wish I could've been raised here."

Parvati rose a brow, "What was your place of birth like?"

"Ooh, terrible. Bottom of the pyramid where we were. Humans fought eachother and the weakest witches they could find were used to force others out of their homes." Luz leaned back on the chair. "White is a privileged color, do you ever realize that?"

Parvati sighed, "I have..It's engraved in society.."

Luz winced, "Not everyone is bad..But those who were, rubbed it in our faces. They knew we couldn't fight back, so they tormented us..Dirtying their faces, insulting our culture, whatever they could think of. I won't lie, it really got to me, especially my mother."

Parvati walked over, sitting across from Luz, "I've been through similar waters. More so in my magic ability.."

"I..I use glyphs for magic.." Luz mumbled. "I can show you a glyph or two if you'd like.."

Parvati's breath hitched, the witch tensing, "That..That would be amazing.."

^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^

"And that's what your mother did." Amity finished. "Oh and she also tried hitting on one of the older guards--"

Luz facepalmed, "When will she learn she's not as old as them?? She's flirted with men she's seen with beards and it's embarrassing-"

"How old are we talking?" Parvari rose her cup.

"Sixty-three.." Luz frowned.

Parvati snorted, Amity covering her face, "Ripe age that time." Parvati grinned. "Oh, Amity! The thing-"

"Thing?-"

"The thing we talked about last time? The thing?" She glanced to Luz.

"Oh! Yes." Amity nodded. "Luz?"

"Hm?" She set her tea down. "Yes?"

"Can you-"

Luz kissed her head, ruffling her hair, "Yes I can. I'm going to the carriage, I have paperwork. I'll go to bed when you do." She stood. "Thank you for dinner Parvati, goodnight."

"Night Noceda."

She nodded, walking towards the front door, opening it and closing it behind herself when she exited. Silence. "What the hell was that." Parvati hissed, looking to Amity.

"What the what was what?-"

"That kiss! Ugh-" Parvati pressed her fingertips against her forehead. "Have you even kissed on the lips?"

"Yes! Four times-"

"And, how long ago were those?"

Amity stayed silent, counting with her fingers. "Two days ago?"

"Get up." Parvari stood.

Confused, Amity stood. "Wh-"

"Come on."

Parvati began to lead the way outside, forcing Amity to get in the carriage. Luz looked up from her paperwork, raising a brow, "What's going on?"

"Papers down." Parvati instructed.

Luz did so, placing her papers on the table, turning in her stool. Parvati forced Amity down in to Luz's lap, stepping back, slamming the carriage door. "Come back in when you've kissed!" Parvati grumbled, stomping back in to her house. "Honestly, they act like teenagers! So stupid..'

Parvati closed her door, sighing sharply, 'Amity better come back with a witch's mark in the morning..'

Tis, the adventure continues.