[53]

November thirty-first, fourteen twenty. Gore warning!

Luz had began to appreciate having Amity around again. Her first week with Belos had rendered her useless, sleeping poorly and for minutes at a time. Now, Luz's body was ready to protect, but able to relax and lie near her princess once more.

Paco swayed his head from side to side, hooves tapping almost rhythmically to the tune he squeaked out. "Hush now, Paco, we mustn't disturb the animals here."

He tilted his head to look at Luz, pouting, "Nnhhrr?"

She sighed, smiling, "Very well. As long as you're quiet."

Paco squealed, hopping to the beat of the tune he memorized. Gelato glared, Amity tugging lightly at his reins, "Calm yourself Gelato."

He shook his head lightly, then stopped, both horses perking. Paco looked to his left into the lines of trees, snorting softly. Gelato looked to him, Paco snorting again, turning his body to face the trees. Gelato jumped, a bit panicked. Paco whinnied, stomping his hoof down, Gelato bucking before galloping ahead.

Paco jumped into the bushes, Luz drawing her sword as he charged forward. A beast lept out, roaring. Luz swiped, slitting it's neck, the beast skidding into a tree, racing towards them. Paco kicked back, hitting its nose, using the momentum and rushing forward.

The beast shook its head, snarling and chasing after them. It grew near, swiping blindly at Luz, ripping her armor off and scratching skin. She hissed, covering her arm as blood began to seep out, Paco looking around, snorting. He turned to the side quickly, Luz yelping as she was thrown off and near a bush. The beast pinned Paco down, foaming at the mouth. Paco met Luz's gaze, letting out a panicked whinny, snorting softly.

He huffed, lying his head down, "Nnhhrr.."

Paco squealed when the beast bit into his side, breathing heavily and falling limp. Luz stared, eyes glossing over as the beast drew back with a bloodied mouth. She gripped her sword, standing. The beast rose its head, exhaling through its nose sharply, licking its lips.

Luz saw red as she stumbled forward, and lost her mind.

Unable to take control of herself, unwilling to stop until a heart stopped beating, Luz tore the beast limb from limb, slicing them slightly to assist her in the act. Covered in blood and reeking of iron, Luz stumbled over to Paco. He gazed off into the distance, his gaping wound pouring out more and more blood.

Luz brushed back his fur, the horse snorting softly and glancing to her. He whinnied softly, a soft smile hiding his pain. "Mnnn.."

Removing her hauberk, Luz pulled out several papers. She examined them as Paco slowly began to lose himself, eyes fluttering shut. A paper was pressed to his side, the horse taking a deep breath. He groaned weakly, squirming.

Luz pressed another paper to his side, the horse panting as his pain slowly subsided. "If you die, I die. We made an oath you idiot." Luz smiled, rubbing his stop. "Don't you remember that?"

He rose his head, nuzzling Luz's bloodied hand, "Nnhhrrrr.."

Sighing, Luz leaned own and hugged his snout, the horse relaxing in her hold. Gelato jumped over a bush, skidding to the side and raising his hoof to press against a tree, stopping himself from hitting it with his butt. "Ssnnrrkk--!!"

"Luz!"

Amity hopped off as Gelato rushed over and lied down in front of Paco, the witch brushing back Luz's hair. "What happened!?"

"Just a little fight with a beast.." Luz mumbled, releasing Paco. "Please don't look to your right, I did not go easy on it.."

Amity gulped, "We- We saw a river not too far from here! Gelato, you can help Paco stand right?-"

The stallion nudged Paco to sit up, nodding to Amity and sliding his snout under Paco. He helped him get to his feet, leaning forward, allowing Paco to rest his head on Gelato's neck. They crept through the trees, slowly stepping over brances or circling logs, Gelato carefully guiding Paco to the river.

Luz picked up her armor before following them, Amity offering her a napkin which she declined and began to strip herself of her armor. As she neared the river, she walked into it, sighing as the blood followed the stream. She rubbed her hands, removing the blood.

Paco slipped into the water by her, weakly whinnying and lying his head on a rock in the middle of the river. Gelato stood nearby, gazing at Paco. Amity sat down outside of the river, a roll of gauze in hand. Luz brushed back her hair, sighing quietly and lowering her head.

More blood ran down the stream, the human splashing her hair and rinsing it out. "H..How do you feel..?" Amity asked softly.

"..A bit better." Luz glanced back. "I killed it, that's what matters. I got my vengeance, and I hope that's all for today."

"Do..You ever feel bad..When you take a life..?"

Luz stilled, Paco glancing over and snorting softly, "Nngghhrr.."

Gelato stepped over, gently nuzzling him, squealing. Paco huffed, nodding and resting his head back on the rock. "It's my life or theirs." Luz walked out of the water. "They might have a home to get to, but so do I. I value a life, but if it gets in the way of one I care for, it's gone."

"Oh.."

Luz sighed, patting her head, "It was a needed act, Amity..It hurt Paco, and if he dies, so do I. He's one of the few of his kind, a recessive gene in his family, bred to perfection. But since you banished me, er- Since I was banished, I was put into an oath to care for Paco as if we were one. One day, when he's good and ready, his line will go on."

Paco whinnied, Gelato stepping deeper into the water, guiding him out to lie down by Amity. "..We rest here then. If we keep this pace we'll be at the castle in two days."

Amity sighed, "Two days farther to being wed which is great. But that means this is on for much longer." She huffed, tugging at the ring. "I can't take it off either! Not until I retrieve my loved one or I'm dea-" Amity flinched.

Paco squealed in suprise, turning his head away as Luz pressed her lips against Amity's. Gelato took in a sharp breath, ears pinning back as his jaw dropped. "Nnneeeehhhh!!" He stomped his hooves down.

Luz gently pulled the ring off Amity's finger, smiling warmly, "How do you feel now, Amor?"

Tis, their adventure continues.