[34]

October 26th, fourteen twenty.

Amity awoke in the carriage, her bag in her arms. There were two guards grabbing onto bars outside the doors, keeping an eye out. Directly in front of her was Queen Boscha, the witch leaned against the side of the carriage.

Rubbing her eyes, Amity sat up, glancing around. There were two guards inside, both resting. The galloping of horses was audible, but not to the point of it provoking the resting guards. Then, the carriage came to a halt.

The guards hopped off the sides, opening the doors, startling the three dreamers awake. "Oh yes..Let us eat, then you can rest.." Boscha rubbed her eyes.

A horse whinnied, hooves stomping on the dirt, "Paco down! It's a mouse for crying out loud!" Luz shouted.

Snorting, Paco stomped on the path, reins jingling. The other horses huffed in agreement, the guards stepping off the carriage with rope. "My Queen," Luz walked over, Paco behind her. "We are not far from a bed and feast. I recognize this trail, two miles from here are housing and stalls for the horses."

Boscha hummed softly, knocking on the sliding window behind her. "Yes My Queen?" The coachman asked.

"Bed and feast?"

A paper ruffled, the coachman tutting softly, "Two and a half miles from here."

"Right, let's go then."

The guards went back outside, the two who awoke returning inside, readying their equipment. Luz closed the door, Paco jumping up slightly, nibbling on Luz's hair. "Do that again and I'll send you to the boiling rain."

Paco drew back, sneezing in her face, being pushed back. He turned, Luz hopping on, taking the reins, moving in front of the carriage. The carriage moved with a jerk, the horses grunting before galloping ahead.

When they eventually arrived, Luz walked in to speak to the owners for three rooms. A fake, one for the highnesses, and one for the guards. Oh, and stables for the horses to rest. The carriage was enchanted to not allow anyone, living or not, near a three foot distance.

The magic came from the guards who had the morning shift, so they were a bit slow when eating. The night guards went to sleep, including Luz, who took the floor, saying it was good for her back. Boscha and Amity went over a few things, then decided to nap.

When the evening came around the guards were still exhausted, having been the unfortunate souls to finish the preparations the night before. So Luz took their shifts, one of the day guards protecting the mini carriage in the back.

As they continued the path, the coachman switched with their co-driver, resting their head on his shoulder. Paco slowed, beating at the ground, the horses stopping. "What's wrong?" The co-coachman asked.

"Paco, what is it?"

The horse snorted, back peddaling as his ears pinned. "Snnrt-"

Luz rubbed his head, hushing him softly as she hopped off him. "Go sniff about."

Paco shook, stepping forward, raising his head as he sniffed the air. Canine of sorts. He could smell its bloody breath from fifteen deep into the woods. He kicked back dirt, snorting and lowering his head. A branch snapped, glowing yellow eyes peering back at them.

Luz waved the coachman ahead, the horses beginning to buck and whinny, refusing the tread any further. "Paco." Luz hissed.

The stallion stood on his hind hooves, letting out a whinny like roar, the horses squealing and moving on quickly. Luz hopped back on Paco's saddle when he calmed slightly, grabbing his reins, "Tck-Tck, come on, I'll keep an eye on it."