ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 4

♪ Oooh, I fall apart
Down to my core
Oooh, didn't know it before ♪

Max Verstappen POV

I entered the Bakker's house and saw my father sitting on the couch, he smiles and hugs me but I knew from the moment I stepped in that she had been there. Her smell was everywhere, she came back. I looked around and her father gives a small smile and I knew that was his way of telling me that my thoughts were true.

"So how is she? Is she okay after all these years?" I ask and sit on the couch at my dad's side and her parents sit in front of us.

"I don't know what you are talking about" Lottie says and I let a laugh out, her mom was never good at lying.

"I know she was here recently, I sense her smell, she always wore that damn perfume, she once bought it for twice the price because she couldn't find it anymore, and the same hair products, she never changed those. Her particular smell is here." I say and they look at each other.

"She came back?" My dad asks surprised but I wasn't buying it.

"Cut the shit out, I'm not a kid. Just tell me the truth. I moved on, she did too" I say and he shuts up and Jacob looks at me and smiles.

"She is good, a little different but she will get better, don't worry about it son. Maybe you will see each other soon" He says and I nod.

"See? Was that hard? I will be in town the next few days, I hope to see more of you. I'm a bit hungry because I didn't have lunch. I will leave you now. Have a great day" I say and we all get up and they walk us to the door and we leave to my father's house.

"You really moved on right? I know you have only seen that new girl for a few months but she looks better than Mia" He says and I stop and look at him.

"I will never completely move on, I accepted it. Kelly is a good woman, no doubt. But nobody looks better, for now, I will do this on my time dad" I say and he nods and we get inside and I saw Mila sleeping on her mother's lap, she was only a few months old and Jason was sitting on the floor watching tv and runs to me when I walk in.

"How are you doing little boy?" I ask and he laughs, he is only 2 years old, he is not the smartest yet.

"Miss you" He says hugging me and I smile.

"I missed you too little guy" I say and I put him on the floor and he runs to where he was and I enter the kitchen with my dad.

"I think this is your season" He says excitedly and I start eating.

"I trained a lot and I hope that it goes well" I say and I stop to think.

Will I see her while I'm here? I don't know if I would handle seeing her. I stayed inside all day playing with Jason, I went outside to catch some air and I see David getting out of their house. He knew?

"Max? I didn't knew you came back" He says greeting me and I do the same.

"Just for a week before my first race of the season. You knew Mia was back?" I ask and he looks at the floor.

"She came back like two days ago, I thought you wouldn't really care. You went straight to the subject" He says and I let out a laugh.

"I always knew you had a crush on her, never thought it would be mutual" I saw and he looks surprised.

"Me and Mia? That would never happen, she never looked at me that way, you know it. And I would never put myself in the middle of you two." He says and I shake my head.

"Well, go ahead now. It's your turn"

"I don't think so, but I think you two should talk maybe" In that moment I hear a door open and I hear her voice and turn my back, I don't want to see her, I can't.

"David! You left your coat here, you will get sick and poor if you keep forgetting stuff everywhere." She says and I think she didn't notice me.

"Thank you, I'm just distracted" He says and she interrupts him.

"Tomorrow is still on? Are you sure there's no problem?" She asks and I roll my eyes, he is trying to get her.

"Of course it is. See you tomorrow" He says and I hear her walking back to her door and I turn around.

"I have to go, have a great day tomorrow" I say and open the door and get in.

I went to my room and took deep breaths, maybe I should go to Bahrain earlier and chill in the hotel, I can't be here. I will end up seeing her and I don't want to see her. The next day I got up to go get some breakfast, when I close the door I hear the door next door close and I look, and there she was, she also looked at me and we froze there. I should've eaten what we had home.

"Good morning" She says and proceeds to walk as if nothing happened.

"Good morning" I say and I do the same, we are strangers now? That's better, I prefer to do this than talk about the past.

We got to the supermarket and of course, we went to the same, we always went there. People stopped to look at her and I was wearing a hat and dark glasses trying to pass by but people started speculating because we were being seen in the same place. I need to get away from here, this is why I left Maaseik, everyone likes to be in everyone's business.

I did my shopping fast and went home where I started eating. What a fucking stupid idea I had to come here, I thought something happened to her but she is clearly fine, she wanted to disappear. I hoped she didn't come back and that I would live in doubt for the rest of my life but now she did and I no longer feel in doubt, I feel conflicted. I don't like this.