ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 42

♪ But I guess it'll do, 'cause for you
I would run up my phone bill ♪

Max Verstappen POV

I was sleeping when I feel someone shaking me up, I woke up terrified of what could be happening and saw Emilia crying while shaking my body.

"Hey, baby. What's up? Did you have a nightmare?" I ask confusedly and try to hug her but she pushes me off.

"Mom is dying. Is the baby going to die too? I can't lose mom" She says and I look back seeing Mia was still sleeping.

"Mom is fine baby. Come here" I say trying to hold her but she was frenetically crying.

"She is bleeding dad, blood is bad" She says and I pull the covers and see the bed had blood all over.

"Go to your room. I will take care of mom, please" I say and my mind was completely blank, I picked up my phone and tried to wake her up.

"What?" She asks opening up her eyes, her voice was low and weak.

"Baby, I need you to keep your eyes open, I will keep you awake. Don't fall asleep please" I say and my call is picked up.

Everything went fast like lightning. I explained everything, I tried to keep her awake but she was delusional, she wasn't being coherent. She said loose words and I was freaking out. I called Charles and asked if he could watch her, Lando was in London so it was useless. Charles got to our room as fast as the paramedics, he was still in his pajamas and he looked scared.

"What is happening?" He asks worriedly.

"Mia is not okay, she is bleeding, I think she is losing the baby. I need to go. Can you please watch Emilia? She can't come to the hospital too" I say and he nods frenetically.

"I will watch her! Go!" He says and I leave with the paramedics in the ambulance. I can't believe this is happening. Why is this happening?

Worse than this was when they took her to the room. I couldn't get in and nobody would get out. I called her parents to warn them and texted my mom and sister so they would know when they woke up. I talked to Christian and I told him I wouldn't be able to do the sprint today. I was a total wreck, how did I not notice? Was she like that for a long time?

I was going crazy as time went by, I think this was killing me. The more time I waited, the sicker I got. I knew it wasn't a good sign. I changed positions like 50 times, I couldn't keep quiet. I was getting frustrated when I finally see a doctor coming in my direction. It was only an hour and it felt like hell.

"Are you the husband of Mia Bakker?" He asks and I nod.

"I'm her boyfriend. How are they?" I ask completely terrified of the answer.

"We were doing the best we could, but we need family permission to go ahead. You are not her husband, you can't make that decision" The doctor says and I knew he felt guilty for saying it, I could see it. I was just so dumbfounded.

"She is my life, we have a 6 year old daughter and she is having our son. Her family are in Belgium. They can't make that decision. Please, just save her. That's all it matters. I will be responsible for whatever happens. I need her" I say and he takes a deep breath.

"She has no relative close by who would sue the hospital for whatever happens?" He asks and I nod.

"No one would do that, we just want her to be fine. What is happening?" I ask completely desperate.

"We tried to stabilize her but she her body is not responding well. We need to do a c-section, the baby has a good chance of surviving, but he will be in the NICU for a long time, he can have health problems. If we don't do that they will both die. She is in distress, she can't handle it, she may not handle it after he is born. Maybe too much stress, maybe other things could've caused this, we have no way to know for now" He says and I felt my whole world falling apart.

"Just try it. She has to survive, I can't do this without her" I stutter as I tried not to break down.

"We will do the c-section. We will come to you to give updates" He says and I nod, as soon as he leaves I let my body fall into the chair.

I was shaking, I couldn't even think right now, my whole body was shaking and I felt numb, completely numb. She could die, I don't even know why, I didn't even notice. I can't raise Em alone, I'm not her, I'm not that strong, I'm not that good. I need her. I love her. Why did this shit had to happen? She was fine, she looked fine. She was just tired.

My mind was running all over the place. I leaned forward as I rested my head in my hands, I can't fucking believe this. This is our year. I got her back a year ago, I can't lose her. Fuck this shit. I don't deserve this, neither does she. Her dad was calling me, and I had to tell him what was happening. I heard his voice shaking, her mother was crying in the background and I feel the tears running down my face.

We are broken, we are scared and we are really dreading the outcome this may have. I just know I want her back, no matter what. I will take care of her, I will never look away from her for just a second, I want that woman by my side until I die. And I really hope I die first because I clearly can't stand to see her go first.