ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 45

♫ You don't have to say you love me
You don't have to say nothing
You don't have to say you're mine ♫

Max Verstappen POV

I didn't even go to the race, Sebastian Buemi raced for me since he is the reserve driver and I wouldn't put my foot there. I didn't even leave the hospital in the last 4 days, I showered in the bathroom the room had because I paid very well for her to be in this private hospital and in this VIP room, my mom was bringing me clothes and Em hasn't seen Mia yet, she was getting increasingly worried but I couldn't let her see her own mom like this. 

She didn't wake up but she was stable. Without needing more defibrillations and whatever they had to do to resuscitate her. But she was giving no sign of waking up. Her parents left the room to eat something and I ran my hand carefully through her hair. 

"I miss you. It's like a personal hell to see you like this, you are way more than this. But I know you will make it. We have so much to do and I won't fail on my word. We decorated the house on The Netherlands so the kids could be closer to the family so you will live there when this is over. Our son is doing well, the doctors are really good here you know? Emilia is getting worried but I know this will work out for the better." 

My voice failed and I knew this was stupid, she was probably not even listening but I needed to get things off my chest.

"You are a buzz killer. I had everything ready. The new ring is done which is very similar to the one you found while snooping around but way better. Something you deserve more than anyone, I went to that jewelry designer you love and it's one of a kind. I wanted you to be my wife more than anything. We are a family but I think the Verstappen name would look as good on you as do all my clothes" 

Should I even be telling her this? I know I probably shouldn't but the thought of her not knowing how much she meant to me just made me break inside.

"Hm. I also knew I wanted to do in abu Dhabi when I won the season, I was confident I would win but now I don't even know. The real win was to have you by my side for the rest of our lives. But I will accept your waking up as a win. I'm not one to refuse anything you do" I say trying to make some jokes but I was too depressed to actually feel joy.

"Your jokes are pretty good but your dying voice is not really helping, Thank you for spoiling it all" I hear a weak voice say, I watch as she opened her eyes and I even close my eyes and open them to make sure I wasn't imagining it.

"Mia? Are you okay?" I ask still shocked and she shrugs while trying to sit down, making a groan of pain and taking her hand to her abdomen.

"I've had better days. But I'm actually really thirsty" She says coughing a bit when she stops talking. I look around knowing I looked like a lost puppy.

"I'm gonna call the doctor. Don't make any effort please. I will bring him and he will tell me where the water is" I say and she gives me a small nod and a smile.

"Where are you going?" Jacob asks as I passed through them on the hallway.

"Have you seen her doctor?" I ask in a rush because he had to see her fast.

"No! What happened?" Lottie asks worriedly and almost dropping her sandwich.

"I was talking to her and she woke up" 

They froze at that moment but the doctor appeared and I took him to the room. He did some basic tests on her to see her vision and her reactions, she seemed fine. He gave her some water and I could see the surprise in his expression. Her parents were by my side and could only smile looking at her. It didn't seem like the last days were hell for us, she looked just fine.

"She will still be under observation until the end of the week. I will tell someone to bring her some food so she can eat. I will do some exams to see how everything is internally but she looks like she just woke up from a nap" He says clearly surprised by her apparent normality.

"Can anyone explain what happened?" She asks confusedly finally sitting on the bed while I try to think of ways to tell her and that's what I did. She was shocked and she froze for a few moments. "How is Emilia? She saw me bleeding and she hasn't seen me for 4 days, she must be so scared"

"She is coming with my family, they have been taking care of her, I told her you were just tired and needed to rest a lot after the baby was born" She sounded more relieved when I said that.

"How is he? He is too young to be born Max. Will he have any disability?" She asks and I saw the worry in her eyes.

"He is doing just fine, better than you actually. But he will need to stay a long time in the NICU at least until he fully developed. Doctors still have no idea what could've triggered all this" I say and she nods clearly relieved.

"I can't believe this happened. What about the race?" She asks and the room gets quiet.

"I didn't go. I couldn't go with you here Mia, it would've been worse. They couldn't lose both parents because of my stupidity" 

She looked at me for a few seconds and they nodded quietly. She opened her arms and I knew she wanted a hug, I went closer and hugged her. I felt so good and it was utterly liberating like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulder. I couldn't believe she was awake and fine.