ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 16

♫ And in our time that you wasted
All of our bridges burned down ♫

Max Verstappen POV

We got to the hotel close to 2 am. I had Em in my arms and we went to the reception to get our cards.

"Can I sleep with you today? Can you cancel my room?" Mia asks and I'm surprised but I can't deny that. I understand what is going through her head.

"Of course, I will take care of it" I say and I did just that.

We got to the room and I put Em in her bed. Mia was getting out of the shower when I came out, we only gave a shower to Em and took her to the airport in her pajamas because we knew she would fall asleep. I took my shower too and got in bed too.

"It will all be fine. Thank you for the company" I say hugging her and she smiles.

"Let's sleep a couple more hours and then let's meet the doctor. If I don't want to be alone I know you don't want too" She says and I nod.

"I don't want to be alone, but maybe she should be here too" I say and it looks like I said the right thing because her eyes lighted up.

I put Em on our bed and she didn't even move, she was in the middle of us and I think that calmed me down. I felt good she was here with me. Tomorrow will be an important day and having them both here was making me feel better about it.

The next day it all went down really fast, they took Em first, and then it was my turn and Mia holds my hand.

"I will be here when you get out" She says and I smile.

"I know. It will be fine, don't stress it out" I say and we both smile.

The rest was kind of a blur. The next thing I know I was waking up, we had a private room for both of us and Mia was sitting on a sofa in the middle looking like a nervous wreck.

"I'm back" I say and she quickly gets up and comes to my side to hold my hand.

"Drink some water" She says filling up a glass of water and I sit down really carefully.

"The medication is good. I still don't feel the pain" I say and she laughs.

"It will be like that for a while. Thank god it's good, I don't want to see you roll over in pain" She says but I shake my head.

"You wouldn't see that. I've been through worse. How is Emilia?" I ask trying to look at her.

"She is fine. They say it all went fine. I called Sophie and Victoria to warn them. Christian also called me and I told him it all went good without complications" She says and I feel relieved.

"I hope she has a good recovery" I say and she nods. But she didn't seem okay. "Why are you like that?"

"Like what? I'm perfectly fine" She says taking a few steps back but I grab her wrist before she could go further.

"I'm not stupid. What happened? Tell me, please" I say and she looks at the floor.

"Your dad called you several times. He sent hundreds of messages. I think he knows. Maybe someone from RedBull told him" She says and I feel like punching someone.

"It's all okay, he will never reach you two. You two are more than protected" I say and she nods.

"His messages- He made up a whole story of what really happened. It's a lie. I know he is your father, I know you look up to him. I just- I need you. Emilia needs you Max" She says and I pull her closer and I hug her.

"I don't believe a single word he says. If it's he says, she says. I will go for your word. You have never hurt me and you never lied to me purposely. In all of this, you were the one who lost the most. I lost these years with Em but I followed my dream. You lost contact with all your family and friends and everything you knew, you were a single mom to a child who got sick. I don't care what story he makes up. I'm not going anywhere" I say and she just starts crying.

I got quiet and kept hugging her while trying to calm her down. I had my hand running through her hair and then her back. She eventually stopped and took some steps back.

"I'm sorry. I just- I felt like I was gonna lose it all. He is a good liar and if he convinces you I know there is no way I will win against you. I can't lose her, I would rather die Max" She says but I shake my head.

"Do you believe in me?"

"Of course. I always did" She answers almost instantly.

"Then stop worrying. I won't ever in my life believe his word against yours. I won't turn my back against the only person who never let me down" I say and she nods and sits on the chair.

"Sorry about the drama. It was just the stress of waiting for you two and then your phone kept blowing up and I got overwhelmed" She says and I let out a laugh.

"You are doing good for all that you've been through. Don't worry. Go sleep at the hotel. We will be fine" I say but she shakes her head.

"I'm not gonna leave" She says and I look at her like she has gone crazy.

"Mia, you are not going to sleep on a chair or a couch in a hospital. Go to the hotel" I say and she shakes her head. "Then I'm gonna ask for a bed for you, you are not going to sleep there"

"Ask for it. This is the VIP zone so they must have a free bed, not everyone can afford this" She says shrugging and it was honestly true so I just shrugged and waited for the doctor to come to ask for another bed, which they quickly arranged for it to appear.