ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 38

♪ I'm tired of lovin' from afar
And never being where you are ♪ 

Max Verstappen POV

I felt like shit I let this happen but now I know for sure that I would rather lose my dad than lose Mia, she is my whole world. I don't want to live without her ever again. We got home and Lando looked relieved to see us both.

"Is everything okay?" Lando asks worriedly.

"I am fine, thank you for helping. We will pay you back" Mia says hugging him and e smiles hugging her back.

"I am glad you are fine. Max looked like he was going to pass out at any moment" Lando says letting out a laugh.

"Is Emilia sleeping?" I ask and he nods.

"She fell asleep soon after you left. It was just an hour, it's fine" Lando says clearly not minding it.

"You are the best. I will pay you back" I say as I was taking him to the door.

"I know but there's no need to. Friends help friends. I will see you soon, be careful" He says as he left.

"You need to get some rest, I will make you something to eat" I say heading to the kitchen and she shakes her head.

"I am fine, I'm stressed but fine. Do you think he will be put in jail?" She asks and I shrug, I don't really care, he could die in there for all I care about.

"I think they will probably only prosecute him in the Netherlands. He will probably get suspended time and probation but they can forbide him from getting close to us" I say and she hugs me.

"Don't blame yourself, it could happen" She says and I nod.

"I'm just glad you are safe, I just kept thinking he could be hurting you or the baby. I love you. I don't want to lose you ever again" I say hugging her back.

"You won't lose me, I'm smart too, I lead you to me. I'm not a teenager anymore, I'm not afraid of him as much as I was. I know where you stand" She says calmly and I smile.

"I will always stand by your side, I always did it and so did you. I won't find myself a love like this and all I want is this" I say and she smiles widely.

"Max Verstappen being corny, this is so shocking" She says laughing.

"I know it sounds corny but I always knew you were the one, there was never any doubt about it" I say happily and start making something for us to eat.

"I always knew you were the one, I was determined to make it work" She says and I nod.

"I was too, I always chased guys away when I knew they liked you, they didn't have a chance. You were the one who believed in me the most, I wasn't going to let you get away. When you broke it off I still went to your parents' house and called you like a hundred times, that was humiliating" I say and she looks down.

"I did what I had to do. I regret it but at the same time I don't. I don't know what he would be capable of doing and I wasn't going to risk it. This is our happy ever after" She says shrugging and I kiss her forehead.

"I know. I'm thankful you did it, it was shitty but it made us stronger. We are ready for anything. Including the baby we are going to have. I won't blame you for what was done. I only care about the future now and ours is looking good" I say and she nods smiling.

"You are looking good right now too. If I wasn't so hungry this would take a different approach" She says making me laugh.

"What a bummer. We can approach it once you ate something and got some rest. Time is on our side right now" I say and she laughs nodding.

We ate and went to the living room to watch a movie. The police called the next day to warn us that my dad had been sent to the Netherlands and I got my lawyer taking care of the paperwork for a restraining order so he will be forbidden from getting close to us. Time went by like crazy. 

The season is about to start, we are testing in Spain and I am right now telling Christian that Mia is pregnant, he looks surprised but he smiles and hugs me.

"I'm happy for you two, but will you be able to be in all the races? You will want to be there for the birth" He says clearly worried.

"The doctor is almost sure he will be born in August but if I have to miss a race to see the baby being born I will do it. Give me a fine, argue whatever you want but that is my priority. I have to be here for everything that I can, I am not going to fail as a dad" I say and he nods.

"We will support you and I hope the baby is born in August so we don't have to replace you for a race" He says and I laugh nodding.

"We will know the gender before the next testing in Bahrain. I will let you know then" I say and he sounds pleased.

"I'm happy to see you happy again, you look way much better than before. I'm proud of you" He says as we headed to the garage.

"Thank you for being like a father to me" I say and he nods smiling.

"Hello there" I hear Mia say as we get in the garage and Em was having fun with Checo's kids while Mia and Carlota talked.

"I heard the news, congratulations. Both Red Bull drivers are being dads this year" Carlota says happily and I nod excitedly.

"You are clearly ahead but I wish you a good pregnancy. Now the two of you can maybe talk about pregnancy stuff that men don't understand" I say and they laugh.

"We will, we are already ranting about it" Mia says giving me a quick kiss before I went to work.