ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 6

♪ Never caught a feelin' this hard
Harder than the liquor I pour ♪

Max Verstappen POV

Talking with her again was tense, I mean we always had a close personality, and we always had a response to what the other said. But it's hard talking with her after she broke up with me almost 6 years ago. Imagine being on the first month of my second season of Formula 1 and my girlfriend comes and says she wants to end it. It was just like that, fast and easy.

She said she didn't want this anymore, that she was too young to be stuck in a relationship, and that she wanted to know more people. I had to go to the race and when I came back she was gone, I went back home and she was nowhere to be found so a deep conversation never happened.

"Son, can we talk?" He asks after lunch and I nod.

"What's up?"

"We will need to go out for a few days, we would've told you if we knew you were coming, will you want to stay while we are out?"

"Oh no, I think I will go back today, I don't really feel like being here. I was going to tell you" I say and he looks relieved.

"I can take you to the airport"

"Thanks, I will go get my suitcase" I said and went upstairs, and we leave and I see David parking in front of Mia's house, of course.

I had called my crew to warn them I would be coming back home today so they were waiting for me. I went to Bahrain and when I get to my hotel room I get a call from Victoria.

"Hey! It didn't go well if you are already here" She says and I shrug.

"I mean, she came back but I hoped it wasn't her and I also hoped it was. She seems okay so I guess I'm happy for her" I say and she lets out a laugh.

"You're conflicted, it's normal, I wouldn't know what to do in your situation too but you should see because Kelly has feelings too, that is pretty recent so it's better to break it off now rather than later." She says and I take a deep breath.

"I don't know what the fuck to do, my heart still races when I see her, I feel that nervous feeling in my stomach, I got jealous. I should've been able to move on by now but I feel like I'm in the same place I was 6 years ago. And she'll only break my heart again"

"I don't know what to say, I always thought you two were couple goals, you were the first relationship of each other, she gave you unlimited support, I know you loved her and maybe still do and I thought she loved you but I must have been blind because she left anyways. But sometimes loving each other isn't enough. Maybe something got in the way, I'm a bit biased because I really loved her, she was like a sister to me"

"I'm more confused than I was before this call"

"I will support and love you with any decision you take Max, we just want you to be hap..." She interrupts herself.

"Are you okay? Is Luka crying?" I ask worriedly.

"Hm, no. Mia is calling me" She says and I hear the confusion in her voice.

"She is calling you?" I ask shocked, she has the nerve to call my sister?

"Yeah, wait a few minutes, I'm gonna see what she needs" She says and hangs up before I could even talk.

I spent the next half an hour pacing back and forth and then in circles and whatever could distract me but I just wanted Victoria to say something until I hear a knock on my door. I go there and see Kelly, although she said she couldn't come these weeks, she hugs me and I do the same and give her a small smile.

"Did something happen?" She asks worried and I shake my head.

"Hm, no. Everything is fine" I say but there's no reason to lie, she knows who Mia is. "Mia came back"

"What? Mia, your ex?" She asks surprised and I nod.

"She came back to Maaseik a few days ago"

"Is that why you went to see your dad? You wanted to see if it was true?" She asks seeming to understand.

"Yeah, it was true. Someone told my sister and I felt the need to confirm it and it's true, she disappeared of her own free will and now came back"

"Are you gonna leave me for her?" She asks and I never saw her jealous.

"What? No. We are in the past, she left me"

"What if she wants you back? Will you go back to her? I'm not dumb, I know that's not 100% done with, I feel the same sometimes with Daniil, and he wasn't my first love and I wasn't with him for 5 years. I understand your doubts but I have to look after me and Penelope, I need to know where you stand"

"I'm sorry, maybe I should just talk to her and let all this worked out, you don't deserve this"

"If you need any help you can talk to me, I'm here for you" She says and I nod.

"Let's go eat something" I say and she agrees.

We get up and go to the restaurant the hotel had and ate. I completely forgot about Victoria and when I checked my phone she hadn't called me, I will let her be if she doesn't say anything, maybe they were just catching up. After dinner, we went for a walk, and then we decided to stay in different rooms, I needed space and time to think about what is going on.