ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 19

♫ If "happy ever after" did exist
I would still be holding you like this ♫

Mia Bakker POV

We walked for like an hour and they got tired and wanted to eat so we just went into the first restaurant we saw.

"I've never been here, but it looks good" Max says looking around.

"I love the decoration and the food looks good" I say and he shrugs. We ordered and since it was still early the food arrived pretty quickly because it was quite early to be having dinner and it was delicious. The restaurant started filling up by 8 pm and we were just talking.

"Max! It's so nice to see you. This year you are really fighting for the championship" A blonde woman says while approaching our table and hugging Max while he seems taken by surprise.

"Megan! It's nice to see you" He says when she finally left him.

"It's nice to see you too! I was so surprised when you posted about your daughter. She is even more gorgeous in person" She says looking at Em, we look confused at each other and then at Max.

"This is Megan. She interviewed me some times last year" He says and I nod.

"Hi. I'm Mia Bakker" I say trying to be nice but I didn't really like her vibe, she seemed pushy and honestly an attention seeker.

"I know. You are Max's ex from when he first started" She says with a smirk and I try not to roll my eyes. She is definitely a pick me.

"Yeah, and the mother of his gorgeous daughter too" I say with a victorious smile.

"Oh, that's good to know. It's nice to see exes co-parenting so well" She says and her smirk was irritating me.

"I bet it is. Shouldn't you go back to your table? This is getting busy pretty quickly and your date must be waiting" I say trying to get her to leave us.

"I'm here alone actually. Maybe I could join you" She says and I will show you how the situation is: We are at a round table, Em by my left and Max by my right. She wanted the space left which was also between my daughter and Max. That was not about to happen.

"This is a family dinner. I'm sorry" I say and she looks at Max, is she really going to ignore me?

"Do you mind Max?" She asks giving him a soft smile and resting her hand on his shoulder.

"I think you heard Mia say we are having a family dinner so yeah, I do mind. Have a nice dinner and I hope to see you around" He says and she takes out her hand when he basically stares at it.

"I'm sorry for interrupting. I'll see you around Max. Goodbye Emilia" She says heading and I finally roll my eyes.

"She took all the audacity and decided to use it today" I say and Max laughs.

"You aren't like this. Is everything okay?" He asks laughing and I nod.

"Everything is fine, she just has no shame clearly. Is she dumb or what?" I ask still pretty surprised at her attitude.

"I mean if I didn't know you I would say this is jealousy" He says when he stops laughing.

"No! I'm sorry, did you two have something? Did I blow it? I can talk to her and apologize. You seemed pretty uncomfortable too" I said basically panicking because I can't deal with myself if I feel that I'm holding him back. He just admitted I held him back for 5 years.

"Me and Megan? Never. She likes attention and she is kind of a pick-me. I don't like it" He says shrugging.

"I will call a taxi to take us home. There's no way we are walking an hour back home" I say and he nods.

"I'm pretty tired from going back to training so I won't even protest"

"That's good then. I will call the taxi and we can go home. She is almost falling asleep at the table" I say trying not to laugh while Em tried to hear the conversation but her eyes keep shutting.

I called the taxi, we went home, gave her a shower, and took one ourselves. It was 9.30 pm when I finished blow drying my hair. I picked up a glass of water and went to the couch. I see Max sitting there with his glass of water and I sit by his side.

"I never imagined having this type of life after you left. Never pictured having a family. I only pictured how our family would be. After you left my future was all about my career" He says looking in front, to nowhere basically.

"I'm sorry for that. I always wanted a family with you but I never imagined it would be so early. 18 and pregnant felt like a nightmare come true. But I wouldn't trade it for nothing" I say and he nods.

"I'm the happiest I ever felt. With you and her. I just wish I lived it all with you two. I hate him for ruining it for me. I could've had it all. But he had to make the choice for me" He says and I felt the hate in his voice.

"He's controlling and only likes to see you winning, he wanted you to have zero distractions. I hate him, and I will never forgive him for what he did, but I want to forget all of that and focus on being a family unit for her. We have your mom, Victoria, and my parents. She will always know what love is. I just want him away from me and her. I won't blame you for wanting him in your life" I say but he quickly looks at me.

"Mia. I would kill him if I could get away with it. He kept threatening your life and our daughter's life. He can die and I wouldn't even blink. I don't care. He took it all away from me for his selfish reason" He says and I really believed it.

"Then he won't be in our lives and Em will be safe. It's okay. It's not your fault" I say and our eyes meet each other. I don't look away and neither does he.

"Can I?" He asks getting closer.

"Should you?" I ask and he shrugs.

"Why not?" He asks inches away from my face.

"There's nothing to lose" I say and put my hand in his hair pulling him closer. We kiss and I think that this can be either the start of a big mistake or a restart of what we once had.