ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 9

♪ Ice keep pourin' and the drink keep flowin'
Try to brush it off but it keep on goin' ♪

Mia Bakker POV

Max took his two suitcases and we got down to the reception so he could do the check-out and I see Daniel and some guys who were definitely drivers but weren't here in 2015 or 2014.

"Guys this is Mia" Daniel says and they all look surprised and I wave at them.

"Hi, I'm the one and only" I said because I knew there was only one reason to talk about me, the ex of Max Verstappen.

"Hey guys" Max says with a huge smile.

"Did something happen?" A guy with a french accent and blue eyes asks.

"I will tell you next time, I have to get going. See you in Italy in 3 weeks" He says and they all greet each other and I say goodbye and leave with him.

"What time is your flight?" I ask and he laughs.

"I have a private jet, I bought it last year. So we will fly when we get there" He says and I almost gasp, oh he's rich rich now.

"Nice to know I guess. Do you mind going to the hospital and then going to see her?"

"It's better, I don't think I will let her go after I hold her" He says and I smile, I thought it would be so much worse.

"Your father told me if I told you he would take care of me and her and make it seem like an accident" I say when I finally get the courage to and I see his face getting tense.

"Ignore him, now that I know he doesn't have the balls to touch you, or our daughter" He says and I smile.

We got to the airport and I basically followed him, I had no suitcase, only my purse and we quickly went to his private jet. We sat down and when I felt watched I looked at him and he was definitely watching me.

"What?" I ask confused.

"Nothing, I just never thought I would see you again. We will work through this, the three of us" He says and I nod.

I ended up falling asleep and Max woke me up when we landed and we got out, he had a taxi waiting for us and we went to the hospital. When David sees us he smiles.

"Look at the two of you, I missed this. Are you ready?" He asks and Max nods and I stay in the waiting room.

"We can go now, David will call you later" He says and we get a taxi to my parents' house. When we get in I see my mom playing with Em and she was teaching her some new words in dutch and English.

"She knows Dutch and English" I say and he nods.

"Mama, you're back. Who's that?" She says and looks at Max with a smile.

"Baby, this is Max, he is your father" I say and her eyes light up and she extends her arms to him so he could pick her up.

"You're my papa. You're the prettiest" She says hugging him and I laugh while I almost cried and I see Max was already crying and my parents too.

"You're the most beautiful baby girl" He says and she smiles brightly.

"Mommy, you chose a pretty daddy for me" She says and everyone laughs.

Max and my dad stayed in the living room with her and I went to the kitchen with my mom to make dinner. I was always looking at my phone, I couldn't help it.

"I thought this would be more awkward than it was, he is great with her" She says and I smile.

"He is, I always knew he would be a great father. The time wasn't the right one but now it is, we can co-parent and be civil"

"Maybe you can go back to what you were, boyfriend and girlfriend"

"I don't think that's on the cards" I say and she laughs.

"Everything is possible" She says and I hear my phone ringing and I quickly pick it up.

"Mia! Max is compatible with her, he will have to go through other stages until the transplant but it will probably go ahead"

"I will go tell him and I will call the hospital in the United States. Thank you so much David"

"You're welcome" He says and hangs up.

"Is it a match?" I hear my mom asking worriedly.

"It is, I'm gonna tell him" I say and go to the living room. "Dinner is ready" I say and Emilia quickly runs to the kitchen and my dad goes with her.

"Did he call?"

"You're a match, I will call the hospital that has the best references in the United States, she was put on a waiting list there but it was going to take too long"

"I will call them, give me the number. I will take care of it, don't worry. I will see if they can see us in two days, we can take the flight there which is almost 10 hours and we will rest once we get there, the next day I will do all the exams and tests and if they say we can go ahead we can schedule it. Do you how long is the recovery?" He asks and I smile at his excitement.

"A few days in the hospital after the surgery but is between 4 to 6 weeks of recovery. She will be fine to do it when this season of F1 ends" I said while trying to think about it.

"No, I will do it in August, I have almost the whole month, I can get surgery when I get out of the race and then rest for the whole month, I will do some exercise and practice, but nothing out of this world" He says calmly.

"Don't risk it, we can do it after, she will survive at least a 1 or 2 years without a transplant"

"Mia, she is my priority, I will do the surgery the fastest I can and that is in August, I will be fine. I have a higher chance of a speedy recovery than most people. Let me do this my way, you did this your way for the last 6 years" He says and I nod and hug him.

"You will be the best father, I'm sorry for the years that I stole from you" I say and he hugs me back.

"Thank you for protecting her, now I will protect you two" He says and kisses my forehead and we go to the table.