Chapter 4 - Alex - Never Take Your Eyes Off The Target

I felt dizzy, sick, and the urge to vomit somewhere on the side of the road was increasing as I continued to run on the road, for the second day in a streak. 

I hadn't eaten anything except the toast that the Dursleys had so 'kindly' offered to me, and the water I'd drunk when I swam through the lake.

It wasn't like I hadn't met any monster around either. In the two days, I had come face to face with a Chimera and a buffalo type of creature that looked extremely-- let's just say, it didn't look good at all, and I did not really regret killing it. The Chimera was a cool fight though, and I'll be proud to say that I still have a fang from the snake head tied on a lion mane string around my neck.

There had been no sign of life around, either. Sure, the woods were now gone, but all that there was to the sides of the road seemed to be green grass and houses in ruins. Except for the occasional monster, the place seemed to give life to nothing else. But I could never stop. Something in my brain just said, 'next twenty minutes, you'll see a house,' and then, 'next twenty,' and again it went on, until the sun disappeared, and the moonlight shone.

Sighing, I sat under a tree, feeling cold and tired. My legs felt like they'd turned into lead, and they hurt every time they touched the ground. I removed my shoes and my socks. The shoes were still intact, not a single scratch on it, still looking as good as new. I smiled a little. 

Sometimes the small things in your life are the things that need to be appreciated. 

I relaxed by the trunk of the tree, trying my best to feel cozy enough to catch up on my 2 days' worth beauty sleep in 8 hours.

And that's when it happened.

I can swear that I'd only slept for five minutes when I heard it grunt. And then I opened my eyes. I thought, 'Why is it that every time I close my eyes something needs to kill me?' I got up, my feet still bare and red from the running, and pulled out my pendant, and turned to face it- and then I saw it wasn't just one of them. 

There were at least 40.

Each of them had the body of a buffalo which sat atop squat legs, and its head looked so much like a warthog's, and they had super-long necks that almost reminded me of Petunia Dursley from the few nights ago. Each of them had two Satan-like horns growing out and its teeth were razor sharp, almost identical to that of a vampire.

All of them had these super green eyes that outshone the moon, and I dared not to even look at them. The cow in front of the others gave another large grunt, and they responded with a grunt.

"Look, if this is about the friend of yours I killed, I think we can negotiate-" I started, but they weren't ready to listen. 

The leader buffalo pounced at me, its nose pouring out some of that green lethal gas, and I pushed it to the side with my trident, and it fell on the ground. I speared it into beef kebab, except with only one kebab, really.

The other cows just watched as their leader turned into yellow dust and scattered into the air. And then, GRUNT.

Before I knew it, I was surrounded by them, and I was brandishing the trident sideways, threatening to kill if they neared. 

I actually did feel a pang of guilt the first time I'd killed Lamai, for reasons even I can't understand, but now, Gods, I was done with trying to be a good person to everyone. 

I was not ready to get shish-kebabbed by cows. Better them than me.

A buffalo pawed the ground furiously, and the one behind me pounced right on time to get skewered in the heart as I turned. All of them were now closing in, and I decided that this was no time to act defensive. It was time to attack.

Without feeling remorse, I threw the trident into every buffalo that inched closer, ocassionally using my dagger to throw it at the buffalos that were out of the spear's reach. This seemed to have caused some panic in them, because they started to stampede, running around in different directions, then turning around abruptly and getting ready to hit me. Their poison was spreading in the air, and I could feel my breath getting shorter as I struggled to find oxygen.

As the gas entered my nostrils, I found it difficult to breathe. I felt myself getting weaker, and there were at least 10 more of those buffalos waiting to attack me. They circled so close to me, that I could feel their horns scraping my back and my legs. My eyes were only half-open, and it hurt to even blink. 

With the last ounce of my power, I dug the trident into the ground and planted it firmly and hung on tight.

I watched as the buffaloes grunted to each other, possibly deciding how to kill me. I could do nothing. This is it, I thought. The most thrilling tale of Alexandra Marine ends before it can begin, in three- two- one.

BOOM.

A rumbling sound came from under my feet, and the buffaloes looked at one other.

BOOM.

The ground began to shake furiously, and cracks began to open in the places the buffaloes stood now. I still hadn't let go of the trident, and now, I literally hung on to it, hoping that the ground doesn't open beneath me, and I fall in.

BOOM.

And the buffaloes went in, their grunts being the last thing I heard before they disappeared into the great darkness. Some scattered away, their long necks swinging from one side to another, grunting loudly as they ran in an awkward not so pig like way, their squat legs unwillingly supporting their huge bodies.

The green poison curled into a large ball in front of me, and I looked at it curiously before hopping back to the tree trunk and using my trident as a pole, trying my best not to let my feet touch the ground. As I sat down, I noticed that the poison was still around, in a huge ball shape, and it moved as my hand moved to one side. Feeling curious, I put both my hands together and split them apart.

The gas diffused into the air, so diluted that even the smallest ant wouldn't be able to feel it's potent. Two new powers in one day, and a nasty fight. Not exactly what I wanted. I sighed.

"New town, tomorrow," I muttered, closing my eyes, hoping not be attacked by anything else.

-----------------------------------------

If you liked it, please vote! It really helps.

Also, cast coming up soon.